College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
October 13, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from October 6, 2009 as amended.
1) Tammy announced that there will be a speaker next Monday. Everyone is welcome to attend.
2) WEP Career Day is scheduled for October 26.
3) Alumni—Thanks for the great turnout on Friday evening of Homecoming.
4) Philip brought up the topic of furlough on Friday, October 16 and access to buildings on campus. Lisa indicated that no one will be allowed in buildings but will ask for clarification when Dean Shultz returns.
1) General Education Task Force Letter—Discussion centered around emails and conversations with Shane Drefcinski and how to meet these recommendations. Some changes and editorial comments were shared. It was suggested that the letter should request that the committee bring forth a model or models for the faculty discussion to begin. Edits will be ready for next week’s meeting.
2) GE 1030 Discussion—Osama indicated that the professors teaching the course this semester met last week and the consensus was to move ahead and offer a pilot workshop to high school students during the summer. They will continue to collect data. Joe motioned to support the decision to have a pilot workshop. Phil seconded. Motion carried. Osama would like to request that each department have an interested person on this committee and he would like suggestions by next Wednesday. Details will be determined and shared as they come forth.
3) University Rating—Lisa shared a handout from Duane Ford regarding the ranking of UW Platteville. Interim Provost Ford is working on this situation along with Admissions. They are trying to find out where the data is coming from and how it is collected and/or distributed. Discussion continued.
Meeting adjourned at 11:54 a.m.