College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
October 6, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from September 29, 2009 as amended.
1) Julie informed everyone of a break-in to the Mathematics work room in Gardner the previous evening. The campus police are investigating.
2) Lisa indicated that she is working with Colleen Copus on getting the conference rooms onto a shared calendar through Zimbra.
3) Rich announced that three classrooms in Ottensman will be upgraded to level 3 technology. Those rooms will be identified soon.
1) Emergency Disaster Locations—Discussion about a special fire drill coming up soon and where to go to secure both staff and students. Each department needs to determine their location(s) and get to Lisa along with at least two cell phone contacts by 10/13.
2) Commencement Speaker Committee—Lisa is still looking for two faculty and one students from the College of EMS. She needs this no later than 10/16.
3) UWP Studies 4800—EWB Ghana mission course was discussed. Dave motion to accept and Phil seconded. More discussion followed and then motion carried.
4) GE Report—Osama distributed and discussed this report. He outlined and highlighted major areas.
a. Rich had a request from some faculty that if professor allows extended time on tests that it be given outside of the regular scheduled class. Other faculty waiting for the room should not be expected to wait.
b. Philip distributed a draft left to the General Education Task Force and asked for input before the next meeting. He will bring a final copy for signatures next week.
c. Rich initiated a discussion that Osama requested regarding GE 1030. Discussion followed on areas such as:
i. Can this be used as a marketing tool for high school students?
ii. Who should be involved in this discussion?
iii. When and/or how should assessment of this course take place?
Osama gave synopsis of where this course is and how it is going. Early impressions are positive at this time. If you have any ideas, please share them with Osama. This will be an agenda topic for next meeting.
d. Julie asked if anyone had received their library funding allocations. She was informed to check with the Mathematics Library representative.
Meeting adjourned at 12:07 p.m.