College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 29, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen M. Gill, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from September 22, 2009 as amended.
1) Tammy informed everyone of the great turnout at the Minority Social last Wednesday.
2) WEP Career Day is scheduled for Monday, October 26, 2009.
3) Osama reminded the department chairs to keep in mind that GE 1030 will be taught 8-10 and 3-5 on Wednesdays.
4) Philip shared feedback from the discussion at the department level about multi-disciplinary teams. CEE is considering having the students do a one page reflection of experiences such as co-op, PACCE, internships, etc. This is still in the development stage.
5) Justin indicated that EMS Expo will be held on Thursday, 3/25. Discussion about having this event be several buildings and how to attract students to each site was held.
6) Phil indicated that there was lots of interest in Keith Bornbach’s tesla roadster and he thought with a little encouragement that Keith would gladly bring it back again to the campus.
7) Tim will be sending out an email to the chairs about next Thursday, 10/8 and UWP hosting the Chemistry celebration. Please encourage everyone to attend.
8) Lisa reminded everyone that the NSF Engineering Ethics Study will be on campus this Thursday. Lunch will be with the department program associates.
9) Training for Excel will be held in Madison on 12/15 and Lisa has offered to cover the registration fee for the department program associates to attend through MSENGR monies.
1) UW Milwaukee—Lisa is still looking for students. Please advise her if you have a recommendation.
2) MS ENGR Program Numbers—Lisa handed out information on where this program is to days and the demographics. As of today, there are 149 students registered which puts them over goal by 19 students. This program is experiencing a growth pattern. Discussion followed.
3) Mid-Term Grades—PeopleSoft now has this function turned on and people can begin using it this fall.
4) Student Senate: Sustainability—There will be a push by Student Senate to eliminate paper in classes and use D2L. Watch for further actions/development. During the discussion Mark, requested that we look at purchasing the scan option on the copier machines.
5) General Education—The General Education Task Force has been working on developing philosophies. The discussion centered around whether there was a way to speed up this process and to assist in moving things forward. Philip will draft a letter for further discussion that every department can sign. This letter will attempt to move things forward so that assessment has/will be done for ABET purposes.
a. Tim reminded everyone that there are two Chancellor Forums today and one on Saturday. These forums are people’s chance to have input into what they would like to see in the next Chancellor here at UW Platteville.
b. Tammy indicated that everyone should watch for emails regarding pin number access.
c. Tammy also requested an alumni list from each area of those individuals that may be eligible for awards and/or recognitions.
d. Rich informed everyone that the Super Advisor program is being put back in to affect. This program will allow students with performance issues to have assistance from an advisor in their respective discipline area. This is an advantage to the students as well as the departments as they stay connected within their discipline area. Rich indicated that he will send a letter of recognition for DRB purposes for those faculty volunteering in this program. Discussion followed.
e. Rich shared some ideas about changing strategy for monies within the College. Since DIN funding levels have stayed the same for the past 20 years, it is necessary that we become creative with all funds that are allocated to the College. Senior Design funds can be supplemented with some PACCE funding. Please encourage faculty to apply for PACCE grant opportunities.
f. EMS Faculty meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 14.
Meeting adjourned at 11:57 a.m.