College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 15, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, J. Kile, O. Jadaan, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
1) Tammy announced that a scholarship grant for $600,000 has been submitted for STEM.
2) Phil recently found out that Keith Boernbach (EE alumni) will be on campus tomorrow with his electric car.
3) Julie wanted people to know that the elevator in Gardner is out of commission this week. The Mathematics faculty will make arrangements for ADA students.
4) Advising workshops have been scheduled for the College of EMS.
5) Centers on campus—Rich will be forwarding our list by the end of the week. If you have any to add, please get this information to him.
6) Rich made the announcement that since the classified staff chose not to reopen their contract that there is a budget deficit of $110,000 for UWP campus. This happened because the budget did not reflect the 2% increase for classified employees effective in June 2009. At this time, some open classified positions are being held and not filled.
1) H1N1—There have been cases reported on campus. We need to make sure that there is a way to communicate illness to students of sick instructors as well as students reporting to instructors that they are ill and will not be attending class. We need to track trends as well. If 20% of students are absent from a class, then it needs to be reported to health services. There is a form on-line for reporting.
2) Out of Office reporting—Each department will need to have a reporting process that includes approval for faculty and staff being out of the office and/or away from campus. Rich will develop a shared calendar for the chairs. Discussion followed. Rich also requested that if the chair and secretary are both out, that he is aware so that we are not sending students to empty offices.
3) Ethics and Engineering—Lisa indicated that it is our turn to participate in the NSF study. On October 2 there were be a meeting and she needs a representative from each department to participate. She will also be gathering about 25-30 students to participate. As soon as she knows the time, she will make it available.
4) UW Milwaukee Visit—David Yu wants to come visit our campus. He would also enjoy speaking to student organizations.
5) UUCC—ME shared information for make two IE courses technical electives for their program. Joe motion to approve. Phillip seconded. Discussion followed. Osama made a couple of minor changes. Motion carried.
6) Search and Screen & Mentor position (Note: Items 6 & 8 are covered with this discussion.)—Identify who the mentor will be for each new employee. Handouts were provided. Positions open due to retirement or resignation can be searched at this time. Rich went through the list by departments. Discussion followed.
7) Shadow Day—We have two days scheduled on this campus: November 11 and December 2. Let Lisa know if you have classes that would be conducive to students visiting.
8) VECTOR—This student organization is very helpful in coordinating activities and doing things as a college organization. Each organization needs to have representation at these meetings. Discussion followed.