College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 1, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, H. Evensen, M. Gill, J. Kile, O. Jadaan, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, T. Zauche
Visitors: Tammy Salmon-Stephens and Rose Durni (Proxy for Phil Sealy)
1) Rich announced the Mohan Gill will be retiring in August 2010.
2) Position replacement requests have been submitted as follows: 2 CS/SE, 1 GE, 2 Chemistry, 2 EP, 1 @ Rock County, and 2 Mathematics.
3) Ten day teaching loads are due to Rich on 9/15. These will determine TSI funds and allocations.
1) Out of State Travel—Rich needs to sign all travel expense reports including grants. Department will keep the documentation for approvals and denials.
2) PLTW—courses taken in high school and our policy was discussed.
3) Library representatives—Get these names to Rich asap.
4) Calendar system—Please encourage everyone to get on board with the new calendar system. Discussion followed.
5) Advisory Board—Get your topics for discussion to Rich. Meeting is scheduled for Friday, October 8th. Interdisciplinary projects is a possible topic for discussion along with ABET accreditation and how this will be reflected and demonstrated throughout the college and campus wide. Also, please encourage faculty to become a PE. Discussion followed.
6) General Education syllabi were distributed.
7) Furlough question—faculty and academic staff will be taking furloughs in a minimum of 4 hour increments. Questions and discussion followed.
8) Faculty Union Interactions—If unwanted interactions happen on this campus, faculty may contact Kate Kelley.
9) Other business:
a. Academic Standards—In the process of developing new procedures and policies. Please encourage your department representatives to be at the meetings.
b. Inclusive excellence—the next step in including underrepresented people on our campus and broadening the vision. Each department will be asked to develop a plan so be thinking and discussing it at department meetings.
c. Tammy reminded everyone of the alumni fish fry and that invites should be extended to all graduating seniors. She suggested that others follow Mark Meyers idea of putting a handwritten note on each and then distributing them to the students.
d. Alumni awards—Recipients are Lisa Kinsman, Larry Nelson, and Dawson Trine.
e. Scholarship meeting—Students will need to apply for all scholarships that they are interested in instead of just submitting one application. This word needs to get out to students as this is a significant change from past practice. Share any concerns that you may have with Mark Zidon.
f. Julie informed everyone that the Mathematics Department received a grant to address the lines of communication between high school and college. Discussion will be held with groups of teachers.
Meeting adjourned at 11:50 a.m.