College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
May 13, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, J. Kile, O. Jadaan, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz
Absent: M. Gill and M. Meyers
May 6, 2009 minutes were approved as modified.
1) Osama went to Stevens Point yesterday for a workshop on transfer students. He said it was very good.
2) Hal said that Yan Wu had signed and mailed her contract back.
3) Osama said he’s waiting to receive one contract and the other candidate has not received their contract. Osama is going to contact the Human Resources Office about this.
4) Rich suggested that as soon as everything on the budget has been settled, the new employees should be contacted and made aware of what they are coming into. Rich will keep everyone up-to-date on what’s happening with the budget.
5) Julie asked if admissions for fall enrollment has closed yet? Rich said it is very close to closing
6) Julie wanted to know if there have been any changes in appeals? Lisa said that letters are going out that if students are staying in the Resident Halls, they will need to appeal in June. Otherwise, there are no guarantees for holding their room for the fall. Housing is very tight for next year.
7) Lisa said that the Packers will be on-campus tomorrow for about 1-1/2 hours. She needs a mike runner for the event.
8) Chuck requested that if anyone knew of someone who could teach General Chemistry to contact him.
1. Assessment Report – General Engineering
Osama passed out information on the General Engineering assessment. He gave a brief overview on the Department’s goals, practices, and identified issues and changes to their curriculum. Discussion followed.
2. Assessment Report – Mechanical Engineering
Dave presented a handout and gave a review of their program objectives and outcomes, potential for improvement, modifications to improve outcomes, and results of implemented changes. There was a short discussion.
1. Lisa said that Amy Spahn would like to meet for one hour with one person from each Department to discuss “Emergency Preparedness”. Lisa asked Chuck, Justin, Dave, Osama, Philip, and Mark to email her with available times for tomorrow.
2. Rich announced that out-of-state travel has been delegated back to the Deans. Rich is passing this responsibility onto the Chairs to approve or deny. Rich must sign all TERs. If exceptions to travel restrictions are made, the Chairs will need to submit the TER along with a letter of justification to Rich for his signature. Chairs also need to keep track of faculty who were denied travel for auditing purposes.
3. Rich said that there are still some faculty who have not submitted their fall schedules to Jean. Please do so today.
4. Lisa said that Vector met after the hog roast in April and would like to do this event again following the FE exam. For the October FE, Vector is thinking of having a student organization do a brat sale fundraiser during lunch period for students taking the FE. This allows students to promote the FE and also a fundraiser.
5. Rich informed everyone that Hal Evensen has been recommended and approved as Program Coordinator for Engineering Physics.
6. Rich has been thinking about the action taken on the three-course rule and shared the following suggestion that might take care of all ramifications. Require all GE students, who wish to take a 3000 or higher class, to obtain permission for the course from the chair of the degree granting department. He asked everyone to think about this and it can be discussed again this fall. Whatever is decided will need final approval from the College of EMS for our Bylaws. Osama will have Mary run a list of GE students who have taken a 3000 or higher class.
7. Rich announced that all purchases have a deadline for this Friday, May 15th (if you have any monies left). After May 15th, any purchase will be held till July 1st.
8. Julie shared the news that UUCC has revised their documents, which now consists of four forms: new or existing course and new or existing program. This will go into effect this fall.
Meeting adjourned at 2:05 p.m.