College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
April 8, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, and R. Shultz
Absent: M. Gill
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes from April 1, 2009 were approved.
1. Osama visited with students at Crystal Lake High School yesterday.
2. Mark said they had a Civil Engineering candidate in yesterday.
3. Phil announced that there were 850 (counted) people in attendance for Expo this year.
4. Hal said they had their final EP candidate in yesterday. The Committee will be meeting soon to make a final decision.
5. Tammy announced that there is a strategic planning initiative (eSTEEM) to increase Women in STEM Programs and the main event will be offered next Friday night and Saturday.
6. Julie said that she is receiving a large amount of requests for evaluating transfer credits right now and wanted to let everyone know that she will respond to emails as soon as possible.
7. Chuck announced that on Thursday, October 8th, the President of the American Chemical Society will speak for the Chemistry kickoff for UWP’s Homecoming. On Friday, October 9th, Chemistry alumni will be talking about different careers.
8. Rich announced that we had one chair election which was for Chemistry and Engineering Physics. Tim Zauche was recommended and Rich will forward this recommendation on to the Chancellor. Tim’s duties will begin at the start of the fall semester.
1. UUCC Document for First Year Experience
Rich presented Joanne Wilson’s proposal. Rich said the purpose is to move the course out of Counselor Education and house it in UWP Studies. Osama made the motion to approve this proposal, and it was seconded by Phil. Discussion followed. All were in favor. The motion carried.
2. UUCC Document EP – Hal Evensen
Hal gave a brief explanation. Joe made a motion to approve this proposal, and Osama seconded it. Discussion followed. All were in favor. The motion carried.
3. Visitors from France – Rich Shultz
Rich said we will have two visitors
from the Universite de Technologie de Belort-Montbeliard, France on May 6th.
The visitors are the Head of the International Program and the Chair of Mechanical
Engineering Program. We had recently set up an international exchange
agreement with their University. All instruction is in English. There is no
civil engineering program, but they do have computer science, electrical and
mechanical engineering, and a branch close to industrial engineering which are
all Master’s degrees. Their students are required to work in labs or industry.
It is possible that we may have students come and work as graduate assistants
with our programs. Rich said that while these two visitors are here we will
want to present opportunities aligned with our professional development efforts.
He also mentioned that we are the only U.S. partner with this University along
with one in Canada.
1. Philip asked what number is Rich looking at for low enrollment in classes. Rich said that he is looking at lectures with anything below 15, and he does not know how long this will apply.
Meeting adjourned at 1:50 p.m.