College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
April 1, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, and R. Shultz
Absent: M. Gill
Visitors Present: Rebecca Gottlieb and Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes from March 25, 2009 were approved.
1. Julie said that classes for the summer will be: MATH 3630 – Differential Equations I (7:40 a.m.) and MATH 4030 – Statistical Methods with Applications (8:50 a.m.), and MATH 3230 – Linear Algebra (10:00 a.m.).
2. Osama will be attending and visiting with four PLTW classes at Crystal Lake High School.
3. Hal introduced SET from 4H. Chuck asked to be invited.
4. Rich talked about the system wide committee for PLTW and that they are evaluating if and if so, how UW-System will accept PLTW credits.
1. International Conversations Class – Lisa Riedle
Lisa and Rebecca Gottlieb presented this course to the Council. Following a short discussion, a motion was made and seconded to approve this course. All were in favor and the motion carried.
2. Core GPA Calculations –
Mechanical Engineering requested a review of the core GPA calculations. Discussion followed regarding which courses to use in core GPA calculations. Should all EMS majors be the same? Should there be discipline specific difference? How does the 60 credit limit in GE play a role? Each person is to go back to their Department and have a discussion about including Physics I in the core GPA calculations and the ramifications of doing so. A discussion will be continued at the April 15th Executive Council Meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 2:00 p.m.