College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
February 11, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, J. Kile, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, and P. Sealy
Absent: M. Gill, R. Shultz
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens, and Tim Zauche
Minutes from February 4, 2009 were approved.
1. Lisa mentioned that Rich was absent because of a meeting with IBM today. A discussion followed about who the company will be hiring, etc.
2. Mark attended the Employer Fair today and said not many civil engineering companies are not looking for permanent positions, but rather co-ops and/or internships instead. Some of the companies attending today had hiring freezes for all positions, but are hoping these will be lifted in the near future. Others who attended the Fair noted the same.
3. Osama said that he will be updating the UWP Engineering Placement Information on the Fact Sheets. He would like the engineering chairs to send him the latest placement rates for 2008 as soon as possible.
4. Dave asked about the after-hours access to Ottensman Hall and Engineering Hall. Lisa said it was just approved to have the custodians unlock the buildings when they arrive between 6:00-7:00 a.m. and lock the doors between 10:00-11:00 p.m. each day. If students are already in the building, they can stay until 1:00 a.m. After 1:00 a.m., a building pass is needed. An email will be sent shortly with this information.
5. Lisa announced that Watertown High School is hosting an engineering open house event on Monday evening, February 23rd. Mark said he could attend. Tammy said that Platteville High School is also having an open house, but was not sure on the date. Osama also has several visits coming up to other high schools.
1. Renewable Entitlement Plan – Tim Zauche
Tim gave a brief introduction of the plan. A lengthy discussion followed. Chuck wanted it noted in the minutes to reflect that Chemistry cannot support this as a major with any FTE at this time. Lisa called the motion. Joe made the motion that we move to go forward with this plan. Phil seconded it. The motion carried. There was one dissenting and one abstaining vote.
1. Lisa said that we have been given approval to hire a person in GE .
2. Four CIF Grants were passed out. Everyone was asked to review and see if each
Grant meets the criteria. Please email Rich your responses to each proposal no later
than Wednesday, February 18th.
3. Chuck said Faculty Senate is looking at the walking time between Ullsvik and Engineering Hall.
4. Lisa asked everyone to think about topics for the EMS Advisory Board meeting on
Friday, April 3, 2009.
5. Lisa announced that UW-System/UWP will be doing a classroom/laboratory utilization
study in the near future.
Meeting adjourned at 2:00 p.m.