College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
January 28, 2009
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, M. Gill, J. Kile, O. Jadaan, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz
Visitor: Tammy Salmon-Stephens and Tim Zauche
1) Mark announced that Matt Roberts, Keith Thompson, Barb Barnett, and Philip Parker received a grant for infrastructures courses for approximately $150,000 from CCIL.
2) Mohan attended a meeting regarding IBM coming to Dubuque. IBM will be visiting UWP on 2/17. There should be a variety of job opportunities available with them coming to Dubuque as a technical service center.
3) Osama is looking for students to do tours on Monday and Wednesdays from 1-2 p.m.
1) Career Fair—The fair will be held on 2/10 and 2/11. EMS companies will be here on 2/11. The Career Center offered by buy lunch for five faculty.
2) Collaboration Conference will be held in Bloomington MN.
3) UW Law Day—April 1 and 2 at UW Madison Pile Center. There will be a university van going if you are interested in attending.
4) PLTW—High school courses that will be accepted here at UW Platteville. We will need to transcript them for here. Discussion followed. The decision was to keep going and to keep us posted.
5) Multiple Repeats for Engineering Courses—Discussion regarding this policy for each department. Instead of stating it in the college section of the university catalog, each department will need to state the specific rule for repeat of courses.
6) GE 2030—Dave led the discussion regarding Engineering Modeling and Design. The discussion followed regarding changing this criteria. Departments will need to let Admissions and Academic Standards know what they want to do. Motion to approve with understaffing comment to be included. Philip motioned and Chuck seconded. Motion carried.
7) GE 1030—Osama introduced a new format for this class. Modules will be taught by each department. There will be 14 sections in the spring semester and 3 sections in the fall semester. There will be a trial period for three years with assessment to follow. More discussion will be held at the next meeting.
a. Building passes to students include the right to parking only. No pass will equal no parking with ticket issued.
b. Senior Design—key to Senior Design room give access to that room only and no others.
c. Chuck indicated an error in PeopleSoft for a Chemistry course.
Meeting adjourned at 2:05 p.m.