College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 20, 2008
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes—approved as distributed for 1106/08.
1) Pat Jinkins will be stepping down as Program Coordinator for Industrial Engineering. Justin Kile will assume these responsibilities. Rich recognized Pat and thanked her for her dedicated service as Program Coordinator of Industrial Engineering.
2) Tammy updated everyone on WEP events.
3) Hal indicated that the new equipment is beginning to show up. They have received a portable scanning electronic microscope that is really awesome and he will provide demonstrations to those interested.
1) UUCC—Discussion was held regarding changes to the Chemistry major to show ACS approved Biochemistry emphasis. Motion by Joe and second by Mark. Approved.
2) UUCC—New one credit course (Physics 2410 Physics of Sound). Motion to Joe and second by Osama. Discussion. Approved.
3) UUCC—Civil Engineering changes to pre-requisites. Motion by Chuck and second by Phil. Discussion. Approved.
4) UUCC—GE 2130 to change GE 1030 from pre-requisite to co-requisite. Motion to Dave and second by Chuck. Approved.
a. Budget—Governor Doyle has called off the 10% reduction at this time. There has been no communication about what UWP’s portion will be or the UW System at this time either. The campus Chancellors are meeting with President Reilly tomorrow.
i. Actions at this time will include:
1. All vacant positions will be reviewed prior to filling. Request needs to come from Provost to Chancellor for all vacancies.
2. Continue collecting resumes but no campus interviews/invites are to be scheduled.
3. Spring 2009 positions are fine but hold on all Fall 2009 positions.
4. All capital equipment spending has been frozen immediately.
5. All out-of-state travel has been frozen except for student related programs. Faculty that have trips planned should cancel and attempt to get a reimbursement.
Discussion followed. A committee will be formed to review how we can function and continue to provide service to our students.
6) MS Engineering Program—Lisa shared certificate changes and requested that if anyone had comments to please share them with her.
a. Chuck requested that a discussion be held regarding students taking Chem 1140 and 1240 instead of Chem 1450. This will be placed on the next agenda.
Meeting adjourned at 2:50 p.m.