College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 6, 2008
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens and Joanne Wilson
Joanne spoke to the group about SAGE at the request of Carol Sue. They want faculty to be informed about the program so please review and provide comments to Joanne asap. Discussion followed.
Minutes—approved as distributed for 10/2/08. One change was made to 10/30/08 minutes to reflect that the Mathematics contest will be held on Wednesday not Monday and then they were approved.
1) The Mathematics Contest went very well with 550 students participating.
2) Distinguished Alumni nominations due by 11/15.
1) UUCC—Industrial Engineering proposed making changes to IE 2130, 4130 and 4230. These changes included a name change for the course as well as a pre-requisite change. Chuck motion to accept changes. Osama second. Changes approved.
2) Career Center—This was the first year to have a 2 day event for EMS majors. There seemed to be lots of companies in attendance but very few students. Discussion followed. Some departments indicated that many graduates are already employed because of co-op opportunities.
3) UUCC—Software Engineering proposed changes to SE 3920. Motion to approve by Osama. Seconded by Hal. Approved.
4) Hold Harmless Agreement—Hal shared a copy of the agreement from UW System. Discussion followed as to the logistics of such an extensive form. Please review and more discussion to follow at a future meeting.
5) Prospective Students—Lisa would like each department to provide her with names of alumni that may be interested in talking to prospective students and their parents about coming to UWP.
a. Osama had a question regarding how many faculty have industrial experience. He has been getting this question during GE tours and would like some data to share with parents. Each department should report this information directly to Osama.
b. Phil asked for an update on Milwaukee Graduate School. We are currently waiting for course approvals from UWM. CS courses have been approved.
c. EXPO for 2009 will be held on Thursday, April 2. Please make your calendars and begin promotion it within your departments.
d. Masters programs (Engineering and Project Management) have submitted a grant proposal for Lockheed Martin that would allow employees to take a 12 credit on-line leadership certificate program. The courses taken would then count towards either of our masters programs. If you know of individuals who may like to teach in the program, please pass their resume along so we can begin the approval process. Discussion followed.
Meeting adjourned at 3:02 p.m.