College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 18, 2008
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, M. Gill, O. Jadaan, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, M. Meyers, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes from September 11, 2008 were approved.
1. Tammy – Announced the 5th Semi-Annual Mentor Center Open House on Monday, September 22 and Tuesday, September 23rd. A handout was given to everyone.
2. Julie – announced the Math Learning Center is open and the hours will be extended. She will let everyone know the new hours.
3. Tammy – Reminded everyone that RSVP’s are due Wednesday, September 24th for attending the EMS Fish Fry on Friday, October 3rd. She asked that everyone encourage their students to participate. It’s free for students.
4. Rich – Rebecca Martin, VP for Academic Affairs at UW-System will be visiting campus on Wednesday, October 29th to learn about Platteville. She will be meeting with five faculty representatives from each college from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Rich asked for EMS faculty nominations to be sent to him before next Thursday, September 25th.
5. Rich – Carroll College is putting in a NSF Grant for STEM. He needs two volunteers, one from ME and one from EE, to be involved with this Grant. He needs those names by the next meeting, September 25th.
6. Rich – Announced that there was a move in Student Senate to get continuous on-line access to D2L.
7. Rich – Asked for names of up to five women to attend the WWHEL Conference (Wisconsin Women in High Education Leadership, Inc.). Currently he has one name. Please submit names to Rich no later than September 25th.
8. Rich - There is talk at System to remove the $12,000 overload cap. Rich will be an advocate to keep some cap (higher than $12,000) on the overload because he doesn’t want to see faculty with extreme overload amounts.
1. GE 1000 and GE 1030 will be tabled until the October 2nd meeting and this will be the only item on the agenda. Osama said he would be available to attend any Department meeting prior to October 2nd to discuss these courses and exchange ideas, etc.
2. International Curriculum Layouts – Lisa Riedle
Lisa is looking for a representative from each Department to review the four-year curriculum that is currently in place for each program. She would like the curriculum to include another semester which would allow a student to do an international experience and still graduate in a timely manner. Each Department is to submit the name of a representative to Lisa as soon as possible. Nader Safari-Shad, Electrical Engineering; and Barbara Barnet, Mathematics have already volunteered. GE is also included in this because of the amount of advising they do.
3. UUCC – UWP 4800 Interdisciplinary Course – Lisa Riedle
Lisa said last spring she went to UUCC with a course proposal for EMS and was asked to go back and get all three Colleges approval for a topical course. She met with the LAE and BILSA Curriculum Committees regarding this proposal. They gave their suggestions which are highlighted in yellow on the two-page document. She would like approval from the EMS Executive Council along with any additions and/or corrections to the document so she can go back to LAE and BILSA for final approval. Hal made a motion and Chuck seconded it to approve the UWP 4800 – UWP Studies course and to add the statement “Approval must be received by the participating department and college curriculum committees proposing the course.” The motion passed.
4. EMS Advisory Board Meeting – Rich Shultz
Rich said that the EMS Advisory Board Meeting will be on Friday, October 3rd and the agenda will be Lisa and Kevin Bernhardt’s presentation on the Engagement Center followed by the Engineers without Borders Presentation, lunch, and then the breakout sessions. The breakout sessions will be to discuss the Engagement Center per discipline area.
1. Rich said that next week’s meeting will be with UW-Milwaukee discussing the combined BS/MS programs. If anyone is interested in attending lunch prior to that meeting, please email Rich immediately.
Meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.