College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 4, 2008
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, H. Evensen, O. Jadaan, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, J. McDonald, P. Parker, L. Riedle, P. Sealy, R. Shultz
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens and Ali Olcay
Minutes—none for approval.
1) Chuck reported that Sophia Carlos-Cuellar had her baby—nine pound girl and everyone is doing well.
2) Rich welcomed the new chairs and program coordinators.
3) Tammy shared the WEP events calendar.
4) Rich disseminated information on the upcoming WEP convention.
5) Osama encouraged everyone to remind their faculty to participate in the upcoming ASEE North Midwest Section Conference being held at UWP on 10/16/08-10/18/08. Be sure to sign up on-line to avoid late registration fee.
6) Rich reminded everyone that the College of EMS post tenure reviews are due this year.
7) Printed phone books are available at $5 each. Rich will buy one for each department office and his area.
8) New building update was given by Lisa—we should have access in mid-late November.
9) Tours for Homecoming weekend should be coordinated with Pete Davis and/or Dennis Cooley.
10) SCH reports are due to Rich by 10/16.
11) Enrollments—2,177 students registered in EMS this semester.
12) Center for Nano Technology & Research Development will be located in the new building. Jim Hamilton will be the Program Director.
13) Washington County and Sheboygan outreach program is in progress and moving forward. It is slated to be included in the UW System budget.
14) UW Waukesha wants to start a collaborative engineering program with UWP. We will continue this possibility.
15) There are four streaming video courses this semester: 2 in EE and 2 in ME.
16) A university in France is interested in starting up an exchange program. We will be exploring this opportunity as they teach in English.
1) UUCC—Algebra based physics proposal similar to the calculus based proposal was presented by Hal. Motion to approve by Osama. Second by Sealy. Motion passed.
2) Rich distributed a request from BILSA to accept Kirkwood Community College and Eastern Iowa Community College general education requirements here at UWP. This request will be discussed and acted upon at our next meeting.
3) GE 1000 and 1030—Ali presented the proposed changes. GE 1000 will stay the same. Discussion followed. It was suggested that this information be taken back to the departments for discussion and then brought back to Executive Council in two weeks.
a. Tammy indicated that the Advising Workshops will be held on 10/28 and 10/29. She is open to suggestions on topics for discussion.
b. Mentornet—Tammy shared information and would like to encourage students to participate.
Meeting adjourned at 2:47 p.m.