College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
April 21, 2008
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, W. Li, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Approval of minutes from 3/31/08 and 4/14/08.
1. Tammy reported that the Durant banquet went well and 120 people attended.
2. Tammy also reported that 18 girls paid for the event held at the University Farm this past weekend.
3. Abulkhair indicated that the last Pioneer Preview will be this Friday (4/25) in the Velzy South.
4. Rich reminded everyone that is under summer contract that they are obligated to assist with summer Pioneer Previews.
5. Concrete Canoe took 1st place this past weekend and is on to nationals in Montreal, Canada. Discussion about whether or not the students/staff will need a passport. This will be verified prior to the event.
6. Renewable Energy Council will be gathering a list of courses to be included for this minor. They should include required courses within the major. Please get these courses to Mesut.
7. GE faculty contract has been signed.
8. CEP and Mathematics are still in the hiring process.
1. Budget Issues-Rich shared with everyone what he knew about upcoming budget reductions. There will be a 2% cut in salary and supplies budget. That amounts to $8 million/UWP with $161,000 from EMS. Rich outlined his thoughts on where the cuts will come from without elimination of positions and discussion followed.
2. Assessment Report—Sheryl shared this report from the Mathematics Department.
3. EMPT—Early Mathematics Placement Test—This is a shortened version of the math placement test that is given to high school juniors. This test will begin in January 2009 with a pilot project. Contact Sheryl if you know of anyone interested.
4. UUCC—Proposed changes to the Physics classes were outlined and shared with everyone with an implementation date of Fall 2010. These changes included number of credits for some labs/courses, lab integrated with some lectures, and proposed time changes. Mesut moved to accept these changes. Joe seconded and motion carried.
5. Sheryl handed out information on Differential Equations and Linear Algebra and some thoughts for potential changes in these two courses.
Meeting adjourned at 2:59 p.m.