College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 31, 2008
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, W. Li, M. Meyers, M. Muslu, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Approval of minutes with clarification that the weighting of assignments and tests needs to be noted on the syllabus.
1. EXPO—There are over 60 exhibits registered this year. New features are an awards presentation at 3 p.m. and a networking room.
2. College of EMS Advisory Board will meet this Friday.
3. Request for nomination of EMS Alumni Award encouraged.
4. ME has a verbal offer from Rock County.
5. SAE finished third in snowmobile contest. They will go to Madison on 4/6 and be featured on the square.
6. GE faculty position—Interviews being held this week.
7. Mark indicated that Kristina Fields will be remaining here at UWP on faculty. She has decided not to resign from her position.
8. CEP has a new faculty member hired.
9. Chuck announced that Ellen Marie Cornett has arrived and everyone is doing well.
10. Tammy reminded everyone of the Advising Workshops to be held this week Tuesday and Wednesday.
1. Assessment Reports—
a. Electrical Engineering—Mesut distributed and summarized.
b. Civil and Environmental Engineering—Mark shared information on both of these programs.
2. Materials Lab—Please remove things that do not belong in this area as soon as possible.
3. UUCC—The pre-requisite change for EE 4050 was discussed. Max motioned to accept changes. Joe seconded. Motion carried.
4. Mathematics Discussion—A general discussion was held with respect to mathematics courses, instructors, grading, etc… Some topics included (but are not limited to):
a. Variability of grading between professors
b. Content of some courses? Correct pace? Topics covered?
c. Professionalism by faculty
d. Math survey—sharing of information with Mathematics Department
e. Learning environment
f. Perception of how students feel—being treated fairly?
g. Uniformity of grading
h. Self study competency test
Rich and Sheryl will carry forth these issues/concerns and have a discussion with the Mathematics Department faculty and staff.
Meeting adjourned at 3:16 p.m.