College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 3, 2008
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, A. Masoom, M. Meyers, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Visitor Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Approval of minutes from 2/28/08
1. EXPO forms are due by Friday.
2. Women in EMS Advisory Board meeting is Friday.
3. EMS Alumni Board meeting is Saturday.
4. Pioneer Preview went very well last Saturday.
5. Chemistry Search & Screen update—1 offer out to candidate and interviews being conducted for second position.
6. ME interviews are being held for open position.
7. Mathematics has hired two faculty and the other position will be reposted as Academic Staff.
8. S&S committee is conducting phone interviews in GE.
9. CEE has accepted the resignation of Kristina Fields.
10. Faculty College will be held at UW Richland Center. Nominations are due by 3/21.
11. Rich informed Sheryl that she needs to have information about teaching academic staff positions in Mathematics added to the list.
1. GE Report—Abulkhair shared the report and discussion was held.
Back to Announcements:
12. University Women’s Council will be hosting a dinner on 3/25. Rich will sponsor those females attending from the College of EMS.
13. Diversity Workshops—Those individuals that did not attend this last fall will need to do so this fall. This is mandatory.
14. Chuck was notified that Lab Mod equipment is approved for purchase.
15. Rich reminded everyone that the student evaluations of instructors need to be available for review and keep them for two years. Discussion followed.
16. Sick leave—Rich requested that people be encouraged to follow the rules and not manipulate the benefit. It is a benefit that should be utilized properly.
17. CIF grants—These have been prioritized in the following order: C. Mendis, W. Li, M. Anderson and T. Deis, G. Feng, and P. Ravikumar.
Back to Discussion Topics:
2. Mathematics courses—Rich feels that there needs to be a constructive discussion about the content of courses and the importance of each to you and your students. He requested that everyone be thinking about how this interaction takes place within their course and/or department so that a discussion can happen at a future meeting. After this initial discussion at the EC level, Rich and Sheryl will meet to share the information with the Mathematics Department faculty/staff.
3. Schedule for Assessment Report—Rich reminded everyone that we need to schedule their assessment report with this body. This is a five minute update/report from each program. Joe volunteered to share SE report.
a. GE1030—Committee is meeting to discuss this course. If you would like input, please be on the committee.
b. Tammy shared a department specific advising session with was held with ME. She felt there was good turnout and positive feedback. If you are interested, please contact her.
Meeting adjourned at 2:38 p.m.