College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
January 28, 2008
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, D. Kunz, A. Masoom, M. Meyers, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens and David Nevins
The group decided to deviate from the agenda and have our guest address the group first. David Nevins spoke about the upcoming Leadership Awards for campus. He distributed a handout and referred people to the website for further information. This is a wonderful opportunity and people were encouraged to participate.
A correction to the minutes was noted as such—contact people for the General Education Review Task Force should be Joanne, Christine, or Phillip. Minutes approved as corrected.
1. Mark indicated that Ron Miller from the Colorado School of Mines visited the CEE department to assist with setting and accessing goals.
2. Advising workshops have been scheduled for April 1 and 2 from 12:00-1:00 p.m.
3. Distinguished lecturer (Titans coach) will be April 2 from 10-noon.
4. Tammy provided an EXPO update to everyone.
1. Sick Leave Policy—Rich indicated that people need to set their work week schedule and then account for any sick leave taken according to the disseminated guidelines. Discussion followed.
2. Background Check Policy—The policy was distributed and several areas of concern were shared. Rich will request clarification regarding students and volunteers. The departments will be responsible for the cost of the check. Discussion followed.
a. ABET—Interdisciplinary projects was an area that ABET identified for improvement within our programs. Lisa is coordinating these projects and looking to identify and/or expand these for the fall semester. She will be setting up a process with each department chair and/or their designee. Discussion followed.
b. Women in Engineering Committee—Tammy distributed data regarding women and enrollment trends for UWP. There will be an ad hoc committee formed to work on solutions for the declining female enrollment. See Tammy for details.
c. DIN—All purchases are done except for one item from ME. Rich indicated that next year’s requests for DIN and capital budget should be given to him soon.
Meeting adjourned at 3:05 p.m.