College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 13, 2007
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, H. Evensen, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Meyers, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Excused Absent: D. Kunz
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from September 6, 2007 meeting.
1. Max announced that the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department received an award from the UW Board of Regents for Outstanding Department. This is the first program from UWP and the first engineering program in the state to receive this award. Congratulations!
2. Abulkhair distributed updated information regarding new students.
3. Hal Evensen has been elected as the program coordinator for Physics. Congratulations.
1. Mid-term Grades—Student Senate requested that mid-term grades be reinstated. D2L may be an option to move this issue forward. Discussion followed.
2. Advisory Board meeting—Rich in discussion with Joe Coenen have decided to hold meetings around the state at the advisory board members work sites/companies. There will be no meeting at UW Platteville during the fall semester. Rich will distribute a list of Advisory Board members and he would like to know when and who will be visited as the meetings are scheduled. Discussion followed.
3. Furniture from Brigham—A significant amount of furniture will be available after the first of the year. Let Rich know your needs and a request will be submitted. Discussion followed regarding whether there was a need or desire to have tables in the front lobby.
4. Streaming Video—There are two courses offered this semester via streaming video. One at UW Marathon County and one at UW Marinette County. You may direct questions to Jennifer Foley at UW Richland campus. She has been hired by UWP to coordinate this program. Streaming video is open to all engineering programs and will be delivered around the state. Discussion followed. Mesut suggested a committee be formed to discuss the logistics like software licenses, faculty teaching loads, etc… Rich will consider establishing such a committee.
5. Student Organizations—Group meeting set for September 27 at 5 p.m. Please get a list of officers to Lisa asap. The EMS organizations recently purchased a freezer and a grill. The grill is available for checkout.
a. Hal Evensen—elected as Engineering Physics coordinator through 2009.
b. Tammy indicated that she has DVDs available from a conference she attended regarding recruiting females to pursue careers in engineering and mathematics. It also includes some curriculum suggestions.
c. Abulkhair informed everyone that a group of individuals will be attending the ASEE meeting on 9/19-9/21. Also, the 2008 ASEE meeting will be held at UWP on 10/16-10/18. The Dean’s program membership is available for those interested.
d. Chuck asked for clarification regarding the email from Cathy Riedle-Farrey on budgets moving forward. Rich indicated that capital budgets are approved.