College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 6, 2007
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, D. Kunz, A. Masoom, M. Meyers, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, S. Wills
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Minutes approved from May7, 2007 meeting.
1. Tammy had the following announcements.
a. Dissemination of WEP information
b. Invite to visit the new web page for WEP which highlights female alumni.
c. Advising workshops to be held on October 30 and 31. Share topics of interest with her.
d. Homecoming Engineering Alumni Dinner—Invitations will be handed out by department secretaries to graduates. Attempt to increase participation throughout the College.
e. EXPO will be held on April 3, 2008.
f. Tammy’s will be working from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. MWF throughout the Fall semester.
2. EMS Awards Banquet will be held on December 4th in conjunction with the Student Organizations.
3. Mesut shared that the new engineering laboratory and classroom ceremony held at UW Rock in Janesville went well. Rich, Mesut, Chancellor Markee, and others attended.
4. Chuck indicated that CEP had finally hired two academic staff for the 2007-08 years.
5. Rich announced that Doyle has resigned from the EP Coordinator and that an election will be held to fill this vacancy.
6. Rich requested that items and/or points of interest for the phone-a-thon be brought to him asap.
7. EMS is in the first cycle of the assessment reporting. A brief summary of results and action taken to correct weakness will be shared.
8. There is a push to increase the College of EMS student participation in the International Exchange Program.
9. Rich indicated that Lisa will be taking the lead role in inter-disciplinary experiences need to be developed across the campus in response to ABET. There will be a entrepreneurial center on campus to assist with starting up new businesses, incorporating senior design projects with marketing, business, etc…
10. Streaming video—There will be two courses offered via streaming video this semester—one at UW Fox Valley (Daryl Logan) and one at UW Rock County (Yong Li).
1. New employees—New faculty and staff were shared by department. Lisa did indicate that Dave Andersen is on board to working with outreach campuses and will be coming to departments to gather information and become knowledgeable about curriculum. Discussion followed.
2. Co-op Technical Elective—Rich shared information regarding counting Cooperative Education as a technical elective. This has already been done on other campuses. Lisa is heading up a committee that is discussing this as an opportunity for UW Platteville students. Rich encouraged a discussion at the department level.
3. NSF project—Cal Poly has contacted us and requested that we be a participant in an NSF project on ethics. Lisa shared what information she has at this time. It appears that they are just gathering information on how we incorporate ethics into our curriculum. Discussion followed and the engineering departments indicated that they were interesting in participating.
4. Advising folders—Just a reminder by Lisa to sign and date the advising forms. This will be most helpful to the Admissions and Academic Standards Committee. Discussion followed.
5. Spring 2008 Executive Council Meetings—Last semester it was decided to hold the meetings at 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday. With the changes in membership to this committee, please check your schedules to make sure that this time will still work. If not, please advise Rich.
6. Planner/Balance Sheets on website—The ones that are currently out there are outdated and will be removed. It will be the department’s responsibility to maintain this information on their own website pages.
a. Max indicated that there is a problem with PeopleSoft calculating the GPA as it does not recognize transfer credits. This is a work in progress at attempt to correct the problem. Discussion followed.
b. Chuck indicated that there is also a problem with PeopleSoft and generating an Excel roster.
c. Mark has been alerted that one of the faculty in CEE had mold growing in their office. He indicated that need for the air conditioning to be left on over the weekends. Rich will investigate the situation.