College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
March 19, 2007
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill , P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, D. St.John, S. Wills
Proxie: P. Sealy for M. Muslu
Sabbatical: S. Owusu-Ababio
Excused: R. Shultz
Visitor: T. Salmon-Stephens, Carol Sue Butts and Cathy Riedl-Farrey
Minutes from February 5, 2007 were approved with changes; two guests were listed as excused members and not as guests. Minutes from March 5, 2007 were approved.
1. Tammy announced EXPO on Thursday, March 22nd and also said that companies are bringing in large
equipment so Parking Lot 11 behind Ottensman will not be available. She asked everyone to attend.
2. Abulkhair said that the Pioneer Preview before spring break went well.
3. Kurt said that Mechanical Engineering’s Search and Screen is down to approximately eight candidates
and they should be interviewing on-campus in the next week or so.
4. Abulkhair said it will be approximately three to four weeks before General Engineering brings in any
5. Lisa contacted Carol Sue for questions regarding TSI transfer. Chemistry, Mathematics, and Computer
Science students are not included in the TSI transfer.
6. Kurt announced that Joyce Clifton will begin on April 2nd as the new Academic Department Associate
for their Department.
1. Position Control – Carol Sue Butts and Cathy Riedl-Farrey
Carol Sue shared background information regarding position control. She talked about the number of positions that each state institution is allowed. Legislators consider anyone that is not in the classroom as administration. Cathy gave a handout to everyone entitled “EMS FTE Analysis – GPR Only and EMS FTE Analysis – TSI. She went over the information. She indicated that one year contracts for academic staff are not budgeted on this form. This sheet shows only unclassified positions. April 1st is the day that positions are counted in each area. There was a long discussion with many questions asked by everyone.
2. Freshmen D/F Notices @ Midterm – Lisa Riedle
Lisa asked the faculty to share with their department members that anyone teaching a freshman class should be sending out D/F notices to students. It should be done right now and can be done by email; all in the effort for retention.
3. On Tuesday, March 20th at 9:00 a.m., 202 Ullrich Hall, there will be a demonstration by Mediasite to deliver courses by streaming video. Dr. Li, Electrical Engineering; and Dr. Rahman, Computer Science/Software Engineering; are handling this along with Colleen Garrity and Tim Trendt. The demo will last approximately 40 minutes and will follow with a question and answer period.
4. Faculty/Staff Awards – Lisa Riedle
Lisa shared with the faculty that there are a lot of awards out there for faculty and staff. Everyone indicated they had all the information and will encourage faculty to apply.
5. Records Management – Lisa Riedle
Lisa said there are going to be policy(s) put into effect on-campus for keeping all records. For example, search and screen items should be kept six years; then transferred to archives. (Candidate records can be shredded; committee items need to be archived.) James Hibbard is spearheading this effort.
Lisa will send an email regarding the rest of the items. Otherwise she will bring back to the next meeting which will be April 2nd.
1. Lisa said she needs someone from each program, including General Engineering, for discussion on the remodeling process for Ottensman Hall. Names should be submitted to her as soon as possible.
Meeting adjourned at 2:55 p.m.