College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
January 29, 2007
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, D. St. John, S. Wills
Members Excused: S. Owusu-Ababio, R. Shultz
Visitors Present: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Approval of minutes from 1/22/07. Sheryl did point out that one of the advising luncheons is scheduled on 4/6 and that is Good Friday. Tammy will change the date.
1. Tammy distributed a schedule of events for WEP and SWE for the Spring 2007 semester.
2. The EE Department will be bringing in three candidates within the next two weeks.
3. Undergraduate catalog—please provide Lisa or Jean a copy when sending the changes to Diane. Lisa will email a statement that Doyle is using regarding the distinction between two programs within a department.
4. Lisa indicated that her office hours for this semester will be 7:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
5. Emergency absences were discussed in regard to the memo distributed by Carlos Wiley. The general consensus was that some entity needs to be the main contact for emergencies—i.e. Student Affairs.
1. UW System Symposium for Undergraduate Research—Will be held at UW Stout on 4/20/07. Copies will be made and distributed with details.
2. PURF grants will be due in February.
3. New Faculty Office Space—The following spaces will be utilized for faculty offices during the Fall 2007 semester. CEE—office next to Diane; GE—office next to Mesut; Chemistry—Room 300; Mathematics—4th floor Gardner; and ME—part of the IE Department Office.
4. Student Organizations—Please update the officer and advisor information and indicate the individual that would be the contact person for the organization. Return this information to Carol or Lisa as soon as possible.
a. Tammy indicated that the EMS EXPO committee had met and requested that classes be cancelled for March 22 in support of EXPO. Motion was made and seconded to cancel all EMS classes except Mathematics. Carried.
b. FFA competition and Tech Challenge are also being held the same day as EXPO.
c. Caterpillar and John Deere are bringing equipment to campus for the day of EXPO.
d. Chuck indicated that at the Faculty Senate meeting last Tuesday that there was discussion about the quality of students at UWP. A subcommittee has been formed and Philip Parker was appointed as committee chair. Discussion followed.
e. UW Stout has proposed a program which would make them the Wisconsin Polytechnic University. Discussion followed and Lisa will copy paper and disseminate to group.
f. Governor’s address—Tuesday evening at 7 p.m. He will unfold the budget by 2/14. Things appear good for the UW System.
g. Plan 2008—final report due by 2/25. Mick Viney is finishing this project.
h. OPID Conference—March 23 and 24 if anyone is interested. The theme of the conference is “Partnering for Student Success in the First Year”. Individuals interested should forward their name to Carol.
i. System Grant—Individuals interested in writing grants for funding opportunities at the system level should apply for a new position that will be funded at $3500. There will be two people per campus hired for this work.
j. UW Extension and Colleges are one in the same. Some 2 year colleges are contemplating delivering 4 year degrees. Discussion followed.
Meeting adjourned at 2:42 p.m.