College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 16, 2006
Members Present: J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill , P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St.John, S. Wills
Absent: M. Anderson, M. Muslu
Visitors: T. Salmon-Stephens, H. Evensen, P. Sealy (for M. Muslu)
Minutes from November 2, 2006 were not available for approval.
1. UUCC – EP 4130 Microsystems and Nanotechnology
Hal Evensen passed out a request for approval of this course. A motion was made and seconded that approval was contingent upon approval from the individual departments involved with this course. Discussion followed and there were several concerns mentioned regarding math prerequisites, etc. Rich thought that the Council was not comfortable with the prerequisites justifying a 4000 level course. A motion was made and seconded to table this course. All were in favor.
2. Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Update
Abulkhair and several others have been involved for several years preparing for the visitation of HLC. HLC will be here December 3-5 and chairs and program coordinators are strongly encouraged to attend the 4:00 p.m. meeting on Tuesday, December 5 at the Pioneer Student Center (no room yet). If all goes well, the next visit will be 2016.
3. Undergraduate Catalog
Lisa asked that everyone get their catalog updates to her no later than February 1. Lisa will need to review and make sure that all departments’/programs’ pages are consistent within the college pages. The final updates are due to the Registrar’s Office by February 15th.
3. Late Withdrawal from Classes
Lisa said that a late withdrawal form was created last year and it is working well. All students are notified within a week if they have approval for late drops. She would like everyone to
remind students that they need to pay late drop fees. A statement to this effect is going on the revised late drop form.
1. Kurt submitted some prerequisite changes for four courses, ME 2630, ME 3300, ME 3640, and ME 4930. There was a lengthy discussion concerning these changes. Rich said that if these prerequisites are approved, he would like Kurt to keep track of the number of waivers for the senior design class for a one-year period. Lisa would like to see how this would change the four-year plan before it’s approved. A motion was made to table these prerequisite changes until the next meeting.
2. Lisa mentioned that David Van Buren asked her to bring to everyone’s attention that an elementary foreign language does not count towards a language requirement. Please share with faculty in programs/departments.
3. Rich asked the chairs to email him with the pieces of equipment that each Department still has to purchase through the DIN account.
4. Rich asked that second semester contracts be turned in after Thanksgiving to him.
5. Rich wanted everyone to think about how to administratively house the Nano Mems minor. This will be discussed at the next meeting.
6. Rich announced that the College meeting will be held on Thursday, December 7th at 4:00 p.m., 144 Ottensman. The College dinner could not be arranged with WSPE so there wouldn’t be one for the fall. The exemplary faculty awards will be presented at the College meeting on December 7th. Please share this information with your faculty.
The meeting adjourned at 2:59 p.m.