College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
November 2, 2006
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St. John, S. Wills
Approval of minutes with a minor change to Schmidt and add a hyphen.
1. Pumpkin explosion went well.
2. Advising is over.
1. Repeat Courses—Joe initiated a discussion regarding how many courses a student can repeat vs. number of time a course can be repeated. General discussion followed.
2. UW Waukesha—Rich would like to initiate a discussion with this campus to offer a UWP degree with them. He informed others that UW Waukesha would like to become a four year campus or become a part of UW Milwaukee. He feels very strongly that we should be involved in this process and discussion. There was concurrence from the group.
3. ABET Summary—EP: great review, no weaknesses, safety concern with eye protection; SE: great review, no observations; EE: concern with program outcomes, support for the need for more money, weakness noted regarded the way design is done within the curriculum; IE: concern with five objectives and outcomes needed to be assured that outcomes were met, concern with assessment of A-K needs to be ongoing; ME: concern with standards & realistic constraints; CE: low paid and not enough faculty (1:35 ratio of faculty to students), weakness noted regarding assessment and direct measurement of objectives; EnvEngr: same as CE report. Overall, ABET review went well. General discussion followed.
1. Minimal adherence for inter-disciplinary environment for capstone design experiences.
2. Less than 50% of faculty members listed as professional engineers.
3. Informal system of feedback for supporting departments.