College of Engineering, Mathematics, and Science
Executive Council Minutes
September 7, 2006
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, D. St. John, S. Wills
Visitor: T. Salmon-Stephens
1. Newcastle, Australia will be visiting our campus the week of September 18th.
2. Assessment breakfast is scheduled for September 28th.
3. Updated/revised FE results from April 2006 have been received and will be distributed soon.
4. German delegation will be visiting our campus October 24 & 25.
5. ABET visit is scheduled for October 29-31. Rich requested that everyone review their last budget numbers.
Note: Some announcements were shared prior to Carol arriving at the meeting to take minutes.
1. Library Representatives—Rich confirmed the following: CEP=Zauche and Li; CEE=Roberts and Penn; CSSE=Scanlan; EE=Li; MIE=Jinkins and Hoerning; Math=Jeske. (Minutes correction: GE=Famida Masoom)
2. 1866 Funds Suggestions—Rich requested that people be thinking of suggestions for spending this money. He will be looking for responses within two weeks.
3. Class Schedules for Spring 2007—No paper class schedules. Everything will be on-line.
4. Fund Transfers (133-183301-1)—The Foundation Office will no longer be able to process paperwork unless a fund transaction form accompanies ALL purchase orders.
5. Endowed Account Pay Out—The pay outs will be reduced to 4% because of the market change.
6. Outstanding Alumni Award—Please consider nominating individuals for this award. Also, commencement speaker nominations and Alliant Energy award nominations. We have quality people within our College—let’s get them nominated.
7. Ten Day Semester Data—Please get this information to Rich on time.
8. WWHEL Conference—Six people have responded to the request for attending this conference. Rich will forward names to Carol Sue Butts.
9. Modine Manufacturing—This company will no longer employ or recruit from universities that do not have a virtual technology requirement as part of their curriculum. Copies of the letter will be distributed.
10. UUCC Proposals:
a. Math—Sheryl outlined changes for Intermediate Algebra which would change the prerequisite requirement to a C or better. Joe motion to approve. Abulkhair seconded. Motion carried.
b. CEE—Max outlined the changes for CEE 4300 which would add CEE 3340 as a prerequisite. Motion to approve by Mesut. Second by Chuck. Motion carried.
11. Engineering Program Requests—Discussion regarding the number of engineering programs that are being offered around the state. Rich and Chancellor Markee are working on developing a white paper to allow only engineering programs to be offered at UW Platteville and UW Stout. It would allow Madison and Milwaukee to function as always. Discussion followed. Consensus was to procced with this process.
a. DIN Budget—Please get these requests processed and the equipment in place prior to our ABET accreditation review.
b. Tutors—The University Tutoring Services is looking for EMS students so please encourage our students to apply for these positions.
c. Search and Screen—Currently the following searches are being conducted: 3 positions in Mathematics, 1 position in Chemistry, 1 position in Computer Science, and 1 position in Electrical Engineering in Rock County. The rules have changed as well as the forms. Deadline for getting the information filed is September 15th. Also, the makeup of Search and Screen Committees has changed and must include an advocate. Training will be provided for those interested in being an advocate. Discussion followed. This issue will be discussed at the next Faculty Senate meeting so if you have concerns, please attend or express to a senate representative.
d. Carol Sue is looking to collect examples of major changes that have been implemented due to the assessment process for HLC. Please send these to Rich.
e. GE Matriculation—move this item to next week’s agenda for discussion. If you would like data, please email Abulkhair prior to the meeting.
f. Max shared a revised check sheet for CEE that combines science and design to engineering topics. He will email this to everyone. Discussion followed regarding updating the check sheets on the web and checking to make sure that all links work.
Meeting adjourned at 3:05 p.m.