Executive Council Minutes
March 23, 2006
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, , L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St.John, S. Wills
Visitors: T. Salmon-Stephens
Minutes from March 2, 2006 were not approved at this meeting.
1. Mesut announced that Electrical Engineering has three candidates coming in next week.
2. Kurt said that the search is going well for the Mechanical Engineering position and they should have a list of interviewees by Friday.
3. Abulkhair said that the alumni reception went well last night. They had 40 students.
4. Mohan mentioned that they will be having Software Engineering candidates in next week and April 7th.
Kurt said that
he and Clyde will be going to the Regional FIRST Contests in
that Jennifer Jensen accepted the Program Manager position at
7. Tammy mentioned that EXPO is Thursday, March 30th.
8. Tammy also mentioned about the Women in Engineering Career Day on April 24th.
Tammy said that
10. Lisa said that Nikki Drone is the new administrative assistant in the Highway Technician Certification Program and Mary Fischer was hired as an LTE to assist Lisa with ABET.
11. Lisa mentioned that ABET is moving along and reminded everyone that the deadline is May 1st for final copies. Rich said that he has to mail the final document in June.
1. PURF Grants – Lisa Riedle
Lisa said that the PURF Grants announcements came out Tuesday. This is a great opportunity and there could be up to 11 this year. If anyone needs assistance especially with the preparation, please contact Lisa and she will give some pointers.
2. Advisory Board Breakout Sessions – Rich Shultz
Rich said that the Breakout Sessions will be for each Department to utilize the assistance of the Board Members for input on ABET information. Each Department Chair and Program Coordinator will be responsible for bringing issues to the sessions. So please come prepared with questions, etc. (i.e., where is the program headed in 2-3 years?). At 3:00 p.m. everyone will meet together for discussion updates.
3. Budget – Rich Shultz
The cutoff dates for purchasing have been listed. Please watch those dates and your monies. Rich will be reviewing the DIN monies. Chemistry and Mathematics should let Rich know if they have any additional needs. There are some TSI funds available.
4. Interviews On-Campus – Lisa Riedle
mentioned that all companies coming on-campus for interviews need to be
registered with the
5. Ottensman Renovation – Rich Shultz
Rich said ground breaking will take place one year from now for the new building and January 2009 is the scheduled completion date. As soon as the new building is done, renovation will begin on Ottensman Hall. The cost for gutting and rebuilding Ottensman would be approximately 30 million dollars. This project is the UW-System’s list with about 15 other 30 million dollar projects. Rich is wondering if Ottensman Hall could be rebuilt without complete gutting to get the costs down. Ullrich Hall was a 7 million dollar project, but the square footage is smaller than Ottensman Hall. Can we minimize knocking out walls to cut the costs? Can we move around existing space and clean-up the rooms? There was much discussion on ideas and Lisa shared the tentative floor plan on the new building. A consensus for Ottensman Hall was to have a new test machine, better ventilation in the Highway Technician Certification Program area, plumbing, sinks, and hoods for labs on the second floor. Rich asked everyone to think about what each program would like to do, what their needs are, and what else do we need? There is no rush right now for this information.
The meeting adjourned at 10:55 a.m.