Executive Council Minutes
January 26, 2006
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St.John, S. Wills
Visitors: T. Salmon-Stephens, D. Kunz
Minutes from December 7, 2005, were approved.
1. Kurt announced that Lang-Wah Lee submitted his notice to retire
after 28 years of service on May 31, 2006.
2. Tammy wanted to alert everyone concerning the email that was sent out College-wide regarding the upcoming Advising Brown Bag sessions.
3. Chuck announced that if any department needs distilled water for the summer to let Keri Frederick know immediately.
4. Lisa said the first round of ABET reports have been submitted to her. Rich has requested visitation which will happen sometime during the fall semester.
1. Women in Engineering Discussions in Senior Design – Tammy Salmon-Stephens
Tammy visited Pat Jinkins’ and Dave Kunz’s classes last semester and spoke about the women in engineering program. Tammy, Dave, and Pat shared the comments and concerns of the students. Discussion included that faculty need to be more aware of the sensitivity of how all students are treated; both men and women. Rich will raise the issue concerning bias in the gender education courses with Dr. Nimocks. Lisa had three suggestions: 1) hold discussions with department faculty, 2) hold men’s information day at women’s mentoring center, 3) have Women in Engineering discussions at freshmen classes and then keep going.
2. Hold on Pin Numbers – Lisa Riedle
The EMS Appeals Committee wants to keep better track of the students. The Committee is going to check on the students in March and if the student isn’t holding up the terms of the contract, the Committee would like to ask the advisor to hold the PIN Number until everything is brought up-to-date. Everyone at the meeting agreed.
3. Department/Program Catalogue Changes – Max Anderson
Max said each program should look at their program listed in the undergraduate catalogue on the UWP webpage. If you need to make changes that are not correct, you should send those corrections to Dianne Hanten in the Registrar’s Office, and she will make the updates right away.
4. Windows XP – Lisa Riedle
All software has to be supported by Windows XP by the end of May 2006.
5. WordPerfect – Lisa Riedle
6. Graduate Faculty Status Changes – Lisa Riedle
Graduate faculty membership is being changed to three categories: Full, Associate, and Provisional; depending on years of service with UWP. This is a draft and will be voted on in February. Please review the handout and if anyone has concerns, please let Lisa know immediately.
7. MOE Program – Lisa Riedle
- COMM 5010 – Business Communications
- COMM 7330 – Organizational Communications
- BSAD 7540 – Advanced Quality Management
- ENGRG 5000 – Technical Communication
- New Certificate Program – Geotechnical Structures
- CS 7030 – Simulation Modeling of Engineering Systems
- MOE 7980 (old) ENGRG 7980 (new) 4 credits maximum allowed
- ENGRG 7280 – Geosynthetics Engineering (name change)
- Change in Section A, Core Courses for MOE
The motion was passed to approve all the additions/changes listed above.
8. Companies Covering Expenses for Senior Design – Rich Shultz
Rich wanted to remind everyone that if a company pays for a student to travel or any supply items, this should be done directly. We will cover some expenses and travel through our senior design account. If a company wants to donate money toward a project, this needs to go through the Foundation. Be careful how you handle this. It is not a fee, but a contribution. Each Department can put this money in to a development account.
9. Prerequisite Change: IE 3430 – Human Factors – Pat Jinkins
Discussion was held and the motion was passed to approve.
10. Authorization to Implement a New Academic Program – International
Master’s in Computer Science – Mohan Gill
The program has been running for the past two years as a pilot under the MOE program, and now the Department would like to implement it as a new academic program. Discussion was held and the motion was passed to approve.
Rich mentioned that assignments for teaching in General Engineering has served adequately, but we now need to a have more structured system set up. He has asked Abulkhair to come up with a structured guideline. Abulkhair will meet with each Department Chair for a one-on-one discussion.
Rich announced that with enrollment going up, room assignments are getting tighter. He will be scheduling an Executive Council Meeting sometime this semester on room assignment discussion and how to handle it.
Lisa announced that she will be having a meeting with all the secretaries next week on Tuesday, January 31st at 10:00 a.m. for one hour. They will be meeting in Ullrich and discussing the International Exchange Program.
Meeting adjourned at 10:55 a.m.