MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Thursday, March 17, 2005 – Ullrich
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, R. Shultz, D. St. John, S. Wills
1. Chuck shared comments from Tammy Salmon-Stephens regarding the EMS Advising workshops. There were 40 participants. Please feel free to share any concerns with Tammy.
2. Abulkhair indicated that it would be easier to promote recruiting opportunities with area business with proper lead time. The key is to actively recruit participation. Discussion followed.
3. Joe raised the issue of whether program assistants should be involved in training and submitting of grades on-line.
4. IE has a verbal acceptance for the available faculty position.
5. Rich gave a new building update. $20 million will come from the state to fund the engineering building and we will need to fundraise for $7-$8 million. An architect will be assigned by the Board of Regents in June. It will take 8-9 months to design the building with construction planned to begin in Spring 2006. Discussion followed.
1. Teaching Excellence—This is a university wide award. Please encourage faculty to apply. Discussion followed.
2. Advising TSI Students—Approximately 80 students have been admitted to college from TSI. Advising loads vary from one faculty member to another. Target for number of advisees/faculty member should be 35-40 students. GE will try to even out the advising levels. Discussion followed.
3. Textbooks—Several books currently used are out of print. Rich will be reviewing requests as they come in and reminded everyone to use a conservative approach to ordering textbooks.
5. Rich distributed information regarding a former discussion about quality of programs. This was approved by the Board of Regents in 1989.
6. Scanner—There is an Epson Perfection 1200S scanner available to a department or lab for anyone that is interested. Please inform Rich.
7. Department Assessment/Career Fair—Lisa shared information regarding gathering feedback at the career fair from employers and alumni either by hosting a dinner the evening before or a breakfast the day of the fair. Are departments interesting in this type of event? Contact Lisa.
8. Other—There was no other business because Rich handled it out of order of the agenda. J
No meeting next week due to spring break. Most likely, there will not be a meeting the following week either because of Expo. The next meeting will be held on April 7th.
Meeting adjourned at 12:55 p.m.