MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Thursday, February 10, 2005 - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St. John, S. Wills
Visitors: Tammy Salmon-Stephens
1. Tammy shared that a grant was received to provide tools for area schools.
2. A reminder from Tammy about the Minority Program at UWP campus on Monday, February 14 that will include approximately 100 7th graders.
3. Tammy distributed articles on BLS and Service Learning as well as one from the Professional Journal.
4. Rich indicated that the Janesville Initiative has been included in the Governor’s budget proposal and has also been introduced as a separate bill by the legislators with funding to start in the 2006-07 year.
1. UUCC CS & SE changes—Mohan outlined three changes to the CS/SE curriculum. Changes include dropping COSC 3640, adding COSC 3870, and changing the prerequisite for COSC 3340. Discussion followed. Motion to approve these changes by Mesut. Second by Lisa. Motion carried.
2. UUCC Mathematics—Sheryl outlined some curriculum changes that are being requested due to the changes in the math placement test. Discussion followed. Motion to approve by Mohan. Second by Chuck. Motion carried.
3. Library—Rich indicated that department library funds need to be spent by March 4th.
a. Rich distributed information on a Program Assistant workshop at UW-LaCrosse.
b. There was a discussion regarding reducing the number of upper division courses from 40 to a number divisible by 3. General consensus was to leave this as is for now.
c. Lisa shared some follow-up information regarding computers from the last meeting. Computers should be turned off at the end of the day. The $200 connection fee can be waived by Rich.
d. Tammy asked Rich if she should report on SAGE. General comments will be shared.
e. Tri-State Initiative students are being allowed to take the placement tests up to one week prior to registration. This has been discussed with John Krogman. EC members further discussed this matter.
f. Joanne and Tammy have put together a model for a bridge program to be presented at Academic Affairs.
g. Fitness assessment sections will be added. The PE department has added a position to cover these new sections. Please encourage students to take this class sooner in their curriculum.
h. Chuck commented and questioned the State of the State address by Govenor Doyle including math credits at the high school level. Discussion followed.
i. Lisa requested that departments forward their contacts for Shadow Day mentors.
j. Reminder that DIN money should be spent by Friday. Also DIN requests for next year are due to Rich by February 25.
Meeting adjourned at 12:37 p.m.