COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Thursday, January 20, 2005 - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, S. Wills, J. Wilson
Visitors: Tammy Salmon-Stephens, David Nevins, and Phil Young
1. Mohan indicated that the CS and SE faculty are relocated into Ullrich Hall. Joe Clifton indicated that it is wonderful.
2. Mesut was informed that the grant from Alliant Energy was received for $7500.
3. Tammy Salmon-Stephens has hired two students to cover the WEP program and they will be working out of the Mentor Center. Advising workshops have been scheduled for March 15 and 16. Career Day is being planned for April 18. Summer Camp will be July 17-22 and July 24-29.
4. Mesut indicated that there is a student from Darmstadt that will be studying in the EE department this semester.
5. Lisa announced that Jim Almquist and his wife are the proud parents of a new baby girl. There are visitors from Galway Ireland here next Thursday and Friday. The co-op meeting will be held on January 26 at 4:30 p.m.
1. David Nevins spoke to the group regarding the 2005 Leadership Awards and encouraged them to nominate individuals for these awards. The ceremony will be April 22, 2005 at 7:00 p.m. Deadline for nominations is March 11th.
2. UUCC change—Engineering Physics. Phil Young presented the changes for the EP program and indicated that these changes were in result of the curriculum changes already implemented by ME and EE. Minor corrections were shared. Motion to approve by Max. Seconded by Abulkhair. Carried.
3. MOE Module—Lisa presented a new module combining structural and geotech. Joe motion to approve. Max seconded. Carried.
4. Student Confidentiality Issues/Concerns—Tammy reminded everyone of these issues as governed by FERPA. Discussion was held. Tammy will try to locate a copy of the FERPA rules to disseminate to EC members. Lisa requested that this reminder go out to faculty at department meetings.
5. Department credit cards—Lisa indicated that this is a very efficient way of doing business at the end of the calendar year as you can spend later into the fiscal year. Discussion was held regarding accountability.
6. Other—Some discussion was held on the usage and ability to spend out of 133 accounts.
Meeting adjourned at 12:45 p.m.
NOTE: There was a unanimous vote taken that Rich will supply lunch at all EC meetings that he is unable to attend.