COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES – EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, September 22, 2004 – Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, C. Cornett, M. Gill, P. Jinkins, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, D. St.John, and S. Wills
Visitors Present: T. Salmon-Stephens
1. Kurt Rolle stated that the ME program’s enrollment is way up. Discussion followed regarding enrollment management.
2. Chuck Cornett reminded everyone of the Chemistry speaker tomorrow from Marquette.
3. LabView training is set for Tuesday, November 23. Please advise Mesut if you will be attending.
4. The final partnership agreement for the JIM program has been signed with James Cook University in Townsville, Australia.
5. Rich indicated that it appears that we will soon be signing an agreement with Galway Institute of Technology in Galway, Ireland. They offer CE & Building Construction, EE, and ME programs. Discussion followed.
1. CEE Course Changes—Max outlined the following prerequisite and/or corequisite changes for CEE courses.
a. CEE 3030—add CEE 2120 (prerequisite)
b. CEE 3150—add CEE 3030 (prerequisite)
c. CEE 4040—add Math 4030 (corequisite)
Discussion followed. Chuck made a motion to accept these changes with editorial changes that were recommended. Kurt seconded. Motion carried.
2. UUCC—Chemistry Engineering Physics. Doyle St. John presented following changes.
a. Replace GE 1020 with GE 1000 and GE 1030
b. Require either GE 2340 or GE 2630 instead of both
c. Increase credits in EE 1210 from 2 to 3 credits
d. Increase professional elective credits from 15 to 18
e. Add requirement for EE design elective (EE 3020/EE3310/EE3770)
f. Modify list of courses fulfilling Me design elective
g. Require at least one 4000 level professional elective course with design
h. Require EP faculty approval of electives
Discussion followed regarding these changes. “H” was modified to state that a pre-approved set of electives or set of electives approved by EP faculty member. Motion by Joe Clifton to approve with changes. Mesut seconded. Motion carried.
Chuck presented Chemistry changes to add a new course—CHEM 3270 Forensic Chemistry. Joe moved to approve. Lisa seconded. Motion carried.
3. Opportunity Fund proposals—Deadlines are fast approaching. Rich encouraged everyone to get the word out for this funding opportunity. Proposals need to be to Rich no later than Friday, November 5th.
4. WWHEL Conference—The Provost will pay for four women from each College area to attend. Please submit names of individuals to Rich no later than noon on Monday, September 27th.
5. Department/Program Scholarship Gatherings—Lisa reminded each department that they need to recognize scholarship recipients sometime during the fall semester. Chuck made a motion to change the recognition to occur sometime throughout the academic year. Kurt seconded. Motion carried.
6. Other—Discussion occurred regarding the Department of General Engineering state of core gpa in the department information sheets that are distributed. No action taken at this time.
Rich reminded departments to get in their 10 day teaching loads.
Meeting adjourned at 8:57 a.m.