COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Monday, October 14, 2002 - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, M. Gill, J. Hamilton, R. Hasker, J. Hernandez, A Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, S. Wills
Visitors: T. Salmon-Stephens
Minutes from the October 7, 2002 meeting were approved with corrections. The date of the minutes needs to reflect October 7 instead of September 23. The minutes statement needs to reflect September 30 instead of October 30.
1. Kurt announced that Dr. Harman Schrader has arrived from Darmstadt University (Germany) and will be lecturing on Wednesday. Everyone is welcome to attend.
1. Valedictorian Speaker—Three recommendations from each College can be submitted. Please consider nominating individuals from our College and get these nominations to the Dean by October 25.
2. UUCC—Mathematics—Sheryl distributed materials regarding four changes. These changes include: Math 4040—grade of C or better; Math 3130, 4320, and 4330—change prerequisite of Math 2740 to 2640 and junior standing. Discussion followed. Jim Hamilton moved to adopt these changes. Mesut seconded. Motion carried.
3. Graduate Council—MIE—Kurt will make copies for distribution at a later time.
4. International Exchange Program—Lisa informed everyone that a change will be made to the undergraduate catalog to reflect that the International Exchange Program experience will meet the international requirement. She also requested that programs include the International Exchange Program on their fact sheets. This will assist in bringing this program and requirement to the attention of the faculty and students. A statement was distributed as a suggestion. Discussion followed. Each department is to develop a statement to be included on their fact sheet and make that available by Thanksgiving. Lisa distributed a possible statement to be included on the check sheets for each program. This change was approved as distributed and will be incorporated onto the check sheets. Tammy suggested that the International Exchange Program be included in the Pioneer Previews as well as shared with the Admissions counselors. Lisa suggested that any and all ideas be shared with herself, Jean or Carol. We are currently looking at ways to publicize and market this program.
5. Employer/Alumni Survey—Materials were distributed for each program area. Lisa requested that they be reviewed and edited before Thanksgiving recess. Please determine what your department needs from the data and then work from there. Each program/department will need to designate a reviewer that will be available for questions and revisions during the semester break.
6. MIE Graduate Council—This item was postponed until the next meeting because Kurt needed to leave early.
1. Senior Exit Surveys—Lisa requested that the surveys be edited and updated for the December graduates. Dr. Qi’s class is building these surveys to go on-line. Discussion followed. The class would like to know how the department’s want to data—what format. We would like these edited and returned by November 8.
2. Tammy reminded everyone that the Advising Workshops will be held next week and asked for ideas or suggestions be shared with her regarding what information should be included in this workshop. The Dean will once again cover the expense of lunch for those recipients attending.
3. A reminder of the WSPE meeting/dinner at The Timbers on Thursday, October 17. Cost is $14/faculty and $7/students. Please sign up in the Dean’s office.
Meeting adjourned at 3:52.