COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Monday, September 9, 2002 - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, M. Gill, J. Hamilton, R. Hasker, A. Masoom, M. Muslu, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, S. Wills, P. Young
Vistors: T. Salmon-Stephens and Jean Olson
1. Mesut announced that the two electrical engineering visiting professors from Germany had arrived.
2. Reminder of the College of EMS dinner at Glenview on Tuesday, September 10,
3. Abulkhair reminded everyone of the Recruitment Advisor Training session scheduled for Tuesday, September 10 from 8-11.
4. Mohan announced that the computer science visiting professor from Germany had arrived.
5. The Electrical Engineering Department has received $7,500 from Alliant.
6. Kurt was pleased to announce that three engineering courses are being taught at UW Fox Valley this semester. Rich indicated that money is currently being raised for the building addition.
7. The DIN proposal for the Janesville Initiative has been submitted.
8. Rich reminded everyone of the copy machine usage in the building. The basement, first, and second floors are equipped with machines. Please use them appropriately and remember that more than 25 copies should be sent over to the Duplicating Center for significant savings.
9. Parking permits will be disseminated from the Dean’s office to each department. Each department will initially receive 25 permits.
10. The annual report information will be accumulated throughout the year. Information should be forwarded to Dave VanBuren .
11. All academic staff need to be evaluated. Follow the guidelines as outlined on the web.
12. Check sheets for the individual programs now exist on the web but are under the university control. They will be moving to the individual department web sites soon.
1. Web Page Maintenance—Jean Olson will be in charge of web pages for the College. She is available for minor changes. Major changes are still the responsibility of the departments. Jean requested the names of each department representative.
2. Committee Assignments—Committee representatives for 2002-03 need to be updated. Following is a list of current committees: Webmasters, RST, Awards, Scholarship, Women’s Scholarship, Executive Council, Advising, Academic Standards, and EXPO.
3. MOE Update—Lisa indicated that we now have 44 students enrolled in the program with another 39 in the admission process. She requested that we begin to compile a list of resumes of potential off campus people that might be interested in teaching any of these courses.
4. JIM program—Curriculum will continue to be developed during a visit planned to UW-Platteville from September 30 to October 5. Only the German representatives will be able to attend.
5. Admissions and Academic Standards Committee—Lisa indicated that most of the engineering programs have a course repeat policy and asked if mathematics and chemistry would like to have a similar policy. Discussion followed. The respective chairs will discuss this with their faculty.
6. Outstanding Alumni Award Nominations—Rich requested that we seriously consider nominating our alumni. We have some truly outstanding candidates who should be considered for this award. Discussion followed.
7. Other Business—Tammy shared dates for Women In Engineering and SWE events for the semester. She also asked about the Travel Approval form and when this form needs to be completed. Discussion followed. This form is not necessary for senior design travel.