COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, April 3, 2002- Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, D. Ellestad, J. Hernandez, J. Hamilton, J. Krogman, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, F. Tufte, P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon-Stephens
Rich asked if someone would be able to attend the Alumni meeting on Saturday from 10:00-11:00 and represent him and the College. Phil and Jim volunteered to cover this event.
Minutes from the March 20, 2002 meeting were approved as distributed.
1. Search and Screen update: Kurt announced the David Kramer has been hired for the mechanical engineering position. The EE position has a verbal acceptance from Gang Feng. CEE is still searching. SE has hired one position, verbal acceptance from another, and a third offer is out. EE will also be hiring John Goomey in an academic position again next year.
2. Rich gave an update on the current budget situation. Steve Zielke has indicated that salary raises are still intact at this time.
3. John distributed the placement statistics for departments.
4. Student Technology Committee (STC) has received the recommendation that printing limits be set at 800 copies/student/year. Discussion followed.
5. Tammy reminded everyone that personnel need to keep the students informed of office hours to obtain their advising folders. Rich reminded Kurt to move the ME folders to the department.
6. Library budget will be reduced 10%. Be prepared to cut within the next few weeks.
7. Jim Hamilton commented that the Chinese food in the Pioneer Student Center is awesome.
1. Goals for the College:
a) Increase external funding. CEE department has led the College in this area. Congratulations!
b) Support the international initiative. ME department is leading the way with student going abroad. Need to encourage all disciplines.
c) Strike Goal #3 from list. Ullrich Hall renovation is moving forward as planned.
d) Update and improve College web pages. The new catalog is on-line. Letís stay on top of this goal and make sure that someone is in charge of overseeing web pages for the College.
e) Implementation of Fox Valley initiative should stay as listed.
f) Implementation of recruiting strategies should focus on increasing students of color.
g) Strategies for recruiting and retaining females will stay as listed. Tammy is willing to share statistics.
h) MOE marking goal can be eliminated at this time.
i) Promotion of service learning will remain on-going with senior design projects.
j) Establish and maintain advisory board with sub-committees for each department is also on-going.
Items to add:
a) Joint International Masters program in Computer Science
b) Janesville/Beloit program combined with the Fox Valley program.
2. Lisa informed everyone that the undergraduate catalog changes will now be made on a monthly basis. She will be the contact person for the College of EMS so you need to keep her informed.
1. Lisa distributed the October, 2001 FE results.
Meeting adjourned at 10:59 a.m.