COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, February 20, 2002- Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, D. Ellestad, J. Hernandez, J. Hamilton, J. Krogman, S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, F. Tufte, P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
John made a motion to approve the minutes from February 6, 2002 and February 13, 2002 as distributed. Joe seconded. Minutes approved.
Announcements: None at this time.
1. OPID Spring Conference—The Vice Chancellor will pay for two individuals from each College to attend. The conference is scheduled for April 4-5 in Madison. Recommendations should be to Rich by Friday, February 22.
2. Employer/Alumni Survey—Lisa distributed copies of the survey to respective chairs/coordinators. Discussion followed. Lisa requested that all recommendations be to her by February 27.
3. Mathematics Courses—Rick distributed copies of the course proposals/changes for the Mathematics Department. He explained that these courses are in response to new Department of Public Instruction certification requirements. Discussion followed. John moved for approval. Jim seconded. Motion carried.
4. Display Case—Lisa suggested that the display case in the front of Ottensman be distributed as follows: 2 panels for International program, 4 panels for advertising projects (students and/or faculty) dealing with senior design or research, and 2 panels for rotating events and special topics. Discussion followed.
Announcements and Other Business:
1. Jaime announced that there was a telecast today at noon regarding Engineers Week.
2. Kurt informed everyone that the ME and IE engineering students attending an Auto Show at McCormick. Also, they will be taking a bus to the National Design Conference this semester. If interested, you can sign up with Dawn Riechers by March 19. Also, Kurt indicated that John Abing does a lot of work for departments outside of mechanical and industrial. This is beginning to eat away at the budget for this department.
3. Rick indicated that the Mathematics Department has made an offer to a candidate for the statistics position.
4. CS/SE reported that they are scheduling interviews and bringing in candidates.
5. EE—Narrowing the search field.
6. Structures position—Two finalists have been identified.
7. ME—Four finalists have been identified.
8. Lisa informed everyone that the DIN money for this year needs to be spent by March.
Meeting adjourned at 10:40 a.m.