COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, March 23, 2001- Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, D. Ellestad, J. Krogman, J. Miller, K. Rolle, F. Tufte,
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
The minutes were approved as distributed.
- Tammy indicated that Career Day this year will focus on the role of math and science in
relation to engineering.
- Dave reported that the ESE Department interviewed three candidates this week.
- Rick indicated that the Mathematics Department is still actively looking for two
individuals to fill vacancies.
- According to Phil, CEP Department made one offer and is still looking to fill for the
other two positions.
- Kurt gave an update for the MIE Department indicating that they were in the process of
- John reported that he met with approximately 40 students at UW-Fox Valley that were
interested in the new initiative program.
- GE Enrollment Semester Report-John distributed this report. He also requested that
any changes in the core gpa requirements be given to him as soon as possible.
- John reminded everyone to talk up the International Workshop scheduled for this
Thursday from 4:00-5:30 in Ottensman 144. Ulz Dauber is coordinating this event and
all students and faculty are welcome to attend. Refreshments will be served.
- Faculty College 2001-Please encourage faculty members to respond to Rich by March
30. This is an excellent opportunity and there is funding for four individuals at attend
- Institute for Global Studies-Submit names to Rich no later than March 28.
- Cedar Rapids/Iowa City Alumni Gathering-A list of alumni in this area were
distributed earlier to everyone. A discussion was held and people were asked to
indicate which alumni they felt would be beneficial in planning this type of event.
Please review the list and respond to Rich by March 28.
- Co-op Card-Carol asked that faculty be reminded that this card should only be signed
for independent study by the department and that all co-op students come through the
Co-op Office for signature on this card. This is the only way for the Co-op Office to
know which students are out on co-op assignments as well as inform the students of the
various type of responsibilities associated with this experience.
- Advising Workshop-Tammy informed everyone that 30 faculty attended this
workshops for the College of EMS. This was a very good idea and we will try to offer
this event every semester.
Meeting adjourned at 3:20 p.m.
(It should be noted that John Krogman chaired this meeting and it was over in record time!)