COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, February 9, 2001- Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, J. Krogman, J. Miller, S. Owusu-Ababio, K. Rolle, R.
Shultz, P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
The minutes from January 19, 2001 were approved as distributed.
- Lisa and Jerry are the proud parents of a baby girl, Allison, born this morning. Rich
was happy to announce that everyone is doing fine at St. Mary's hospital in Madison.
- Enrollment statistics were shared by John.
- Chemistry has hired one new faculty member for fall and several interviews are
scheduled for other openings.
- John and Mary have printed all of the student schedules for the College of EMS. They
will give them to Carol to have student workers pull them by department. At this time,
it is not possible to run schedules for discipline. Tonya Stappert is coming to the
Dean's Office on Monday at 9:00 a.m. to show anyone interested a temporary fix for
- Industrial Engineering has 26 applicants for their vacant position.
- The search in the ESE Department continues.
- Rich requested that RST files be to him no later than Wednesday, February 14. If you
have them done sooner, feel free to bring them early.
- Information was distributed regarding a support grant for Ethnic Studies.
- Pre-Chemical Engineering-John distributed a handout which he and Joyce compiled
regarding this program. Since UW-P has students that come here expecting to transfer
to another institution for this major, this type of handout is very beneficial when
speaking to incoming freshman. Rich will look into the procedure for distribution of
this type of handout. Discussion followed.
- EXPO-Kurt made a motion to cancel all engineering classes for Engineering/Science
Expo on March 30. Joe seconded. Discussion followed. Motion carried.
- Foundation Office-Rich requested that each department come up with a list of five
things that the Foundation Office could provide for us. The Foundation Office is
interested in how they can better serve the departments and colleges. Please submit
your suggestions to Rich no later than Friday, February 16.
- Departure List-Rich asked the departments to review a form which was given out
regarding a "check out" procedure for faculty leaving the university employ. This form
is to assist an employee with an orderly departure. Comments were to include
gathering of grade books, software, and hardware. Discussion followed.
- Energy Savings-UW System is over $9 million over budget on the utility bill. A memo
will be forthcoming from Steve Zielke relating to this issue. Everyone will be asked to
conserve energy by turning off computers, closing windows, turning back the heat,
shutting off lights, etc... Rich asked that faculty be informed of this issue.
- Professional Development Report-Rich requested that the departments get this
information turned in as soon as possible. (Max and Phil are already done!)
- Lab Modernization-These proposals are due by March 2. Max requested that changes
be made to 035 and 037. Rich reminded everyone that the following rooms are up for
class modifications: 140, 144, and 222. Discussion followed.
- Rich asked everyone to provide him with dean's points for teaching loads no later than
February 16. (Dave and John have already done this.)
- Internships-Rich brought this issue forward for discussion. He asked that people
consider the positives and negatives of signing up for an internship and that this topic
will be revisited at the next meeting.
- Senior Sendoff-Barb Daus has indicated that the Alumni Association would like to do a
university wide event for our graduates. Discussion followed regarding what types of
activities are currently planned within the College of EMS and whether a university
wide event would be attended. Rich asked that everyone provide him with a list of
what is currently planned for our college graduates.
- Budget-Proposed DIN distribution has handed out by Rich. Discussion followed and
suggestions made. Some of these suggestions were to add dimmable lights in the EIC
and to eliminate the overhead projector to make a 21st station.
- Joyce indicated that a new NMR will be installed in the Chemistry area very soon. This
is a very nice addition to the department.
Meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.