COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE MINUTES—EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Members Present: R. Shultz, S. Owusu-Ababio, M. Anderson, L. Riedle, J. Clough, J. Clifton, P. Young, K. Rolle, D. Ellestad, J. Miller, F. Tufte, and J. Krogman
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
The October 2, 2000 minutes were approved as distributed.
1. ABET--Rich reminded the Executive Council (EC) that the ABET team visit to campus will be in two weeks. Departments need to update tabular information for Appendix I (Additional Program Information) of the self-study report. The updated information should be ready for the ABET team.
2. Accreditation Request for Software Engineering (SE)—John wanted to know when SE will request for accreditation visit. Rich responded that it will happen as soon as SE has its first graduates (probably in 3-4 years) and the program is ready.
3. All-USA Academic Team—Rich distributed nomination forms/guidelines for the 2001 All USA Academic Team. Departments are to encourage faculty to nominate students.
4. Teaching Fellows—Nominations for teaching fellows are due in Rich’s office by November 16, 2000. Carol will soon distribute the guidelines.
5. The Academic Planning Council’s (APC) schedule for Review of Academic Programs was presented by Rich.
6. Information on the 2000-2001 Library allocations for departments was distributed by Rich.
1. Co-op—Lisa indicated many companies are looking for co-op students from UWP but not many students are taking advantage of the opportunity. Rich asked departments to continue to stress the benefits for participating in a co-op program and encourage students to get involve in the program.
2. Recruiting—Rich indicated there is an ongoing effort to update recruitment plans for UWP. Lisa is updating the EMS component of the plan and is requesting information on all recruitment related activities that faculty and student organizations generally undertake in the college.
3. Senior Valedictory Speaker—Departments are encouraged to nominate students.
4. University common meeting time—The consensus reached by the (EC) was that the best times for the college are: before 8 a.m. any weekday and after 3 p.m. on Friday.
1. Room 105--Sam expressed concerns about the location of the control switches for the projection screen in Room 105 and the supply of markers and cleaners in the room. Rich indicated that a podium has been ordered to provide easy access to the switches. A short-term solution proposed by Lisa is to take the movable projection screen in Room 118 and put it in Room 105 for use by instructors. Rich also indicated that each department is responsible for furnishing its instructors with markers and marker board cleaners.
2. Ballot count—Lisa suggested that, to strengthen faculty trust in election results it will be more appropriate to have a second person present when ballots are being counted. The EC decided to have one member each time (on a rotational basis) to help Lisa count the ballots.
3. GE student status—John distributed summary report on the GE student status changes covering the period February 2000-October 2000. Questions should be addressed to John after reviewing the document.
4. Timeliness of EC meeting minutes on the Web—John pointed out that postage of EC meeting minutes on the web are about 6 months behind schedule. Rich indicated that Carol will soon update them.
5. Advising related research—Tammy attended an “advising” conference in Florida where it was revealed that not much research has been done on the subject. Anyone interested in pursuing research in this area may contact Tammy for possible team work.