COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, December 1, 1999 - 3:00 p.m. - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, J. Clough, J. Krogman, J. Miller, M. Muslu, S.
Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Tufte, and P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
- Minutes of November 17, 1999, were approved as distributed.
- J. Miller announced that Jerome Wilson had a baby boy on Monday, November
22 and Harold Evensen had a girl on Tuesday, November 30.
- L. Riedle announced that the fall 2000 schedules need to be turned in before
- Discussion Topics
- Patrick Hundley canceled and will reschedule for spring 2000 to speak on the
- M. Anderson presented two curriculum changes in the Civil and Environmental
Engineering Department. CEE 212 - Computer Applications will be changed to
course number 213 to reflect an increase of credits from two to three. CEE 263 -
Elements of Surveying will change from four to three credits. The credit changes
are being made due to moving curriculum content from 263 and adding to 212.
This will go into effect fall 2000. A motion was made to approve the credit
changes as listed above and was seconded. Motion passed. M. Anderson will
pass this information on to U.U.C.C. for final approval.
- J. Krogman went over the La Crosse and River Falls Dual Enrollment Programs
with the faculty. Several members had questions and concerns that would need to
be discussed, but the consensus was to pursue this.
- L. Riedle explained that there will be an increase in the DIN Fund of $34,900 in
the next two years because the grant program is being canceled. In three years,
when the $25,000 at UW-Parkside is reallocated, we should receive an additional
- L. Riedle mentioned that there is a People Soft problem in printing out/receiving
student names with GPA's for honors society recruitment. Each department
should gather names of students interested in joining these societies and these can
be submitted to the Registrar's Office for GPA check. L. Riedle will check with
Paul Moriarty to see if the cumulative GPA can be printed on each student's grade
sheet when the grades are distributed in January. If so, can each Department get a
copy of their students reports?
- L. Riedle reviewed the four new priorities for determining sabbaticals for 2001.
These categories are in addition to criteria used before.
- L. Riedle asked that each department get back with her before the end of the
semester with any changes needed regarding the alumni/ employer surveys. She
will be sending these out in January. The surveys will be sent to academic years
1993-94 and 1996-97 alumni.
4. Other Business
a. T. Salmon informed everyone that on Friday, December 3 the Women in
Engineering Program would be holding it's first advisory board meeting.
- J. Krogman asked that if any department canceled a class because of low
enrollment to let him know so he could use that room.
- L. Riedle asked that each department check their web link to the undergraduate
catalog. If there are any problems, the EMS Web Committee needs to know.
- Shane Thoms and Jim Wiese have mentioned to L. Riedle that with capital budget
for 2000-2001 coming up, departments will be replacing old with new computers.
These old machines can be utilized in other departments so Shane and Jim would
like the chairs to let them know if they anticipate needs for these old computers.
- Shane Thoms and Jim Wiese need to know in each department what programs
work in conjunction with AutoCAD as soon as possible.