COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Wednesday, September 1, 1999 - 3:00 p.m. - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, J. Clifton, J. Clough, J. Krogman, J. Miller, M. Muslu,
S. Owusu-Ababio, L. Riedle, K. Rolle, R. Shultz, F. Tufte and P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
1. The minutes of August 25, 1999 were corrected as follows: a) Item 5.h. should include the
name of J. Clough, and b) "Item 5. Other Business" should be changed to "Item 6".
Amended minutes were approved.
- J. Krogman distributed final reports on the registration sessions. The College has
a total of 503 New Freshmen and 70 transfers. T. Salmon commented that in her
work with 20 to 30 students needing to add classes she received strong
departmental support which she appreciated.
- M. Anderson reported that R. Wetzel will retire in May. Candidates for E.
McCullough's position are in the process of being interviewed. The Dean also
mentioned that new carpeting had been installed in the Department of Civil and
- Discussion Topics
- Comments were sought for the UW-Oshkosh articulation agreement. Changes to
Appendix 1 will include adding Differential Equations as an elective for Software
Engineering, and Computer Science 143 as a required course. A motion was made
and seconded to approve the document.
- A new form for reporting special course fees was disseminated to the chairs. The
following three types of course fees need approval: a) Direct Billing - fee
included with the initial billing to the student; b) Individual Billings - manually
billed to the student through the Cashier's Office, and c) Out-of-Pocket - personal
expenses a student may incur for optional or required materials. Confirmation of
the list of current direct billed special course fees and a listing of Spring courses
need to be submitted to the Cashier's Office no later than September 8. The new
approval forms for existing direct billed, individually billed courses and out-of-pocket expenses need to be submitted no later than December 3. The Dean
suggested that all forms be submitted by September 8.
- The fiscal agent for budget accounts can now give access to authorized people by
sending a memo signed by the Dean to Tom Stodola. The Dean will ask for access
to all accounts. L. Riedle will send an authorization memo for DIN accounts.
- Other Business
- There have been reports of games being installed on computers, and faculty should
be alerted to make sure that this practice does not continue.