COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING, MATHEMATICS, AND SCIENCE
MINUTES - EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MEETING
Friday, October 16, 1998 - 3:00 p.m. - Ottensman 149
Members Present: M. Anderson, T. Ceylan, J. Clough, J. Krogman, S. Owusu-Ababio,
L. Riedle, F. Tufte and P. Young
Visitor Present: T. Salmon
- Minutes of October 2, 1998 were approved as distributed.
a. C. Butts will be attending the November 6 Executive Council meeting.
- J. Krogman has been selected as a member of the PeopleSoft Steering Committee, and
advises members to drastically lower their expectations, especially in academic
- T. Salmon reported that no faculty volunteers would be needed for the Phone-a-thon.
She also indicated that the Advising Newsletter went to press and should be distributed
shortly. The newsletter includes some useful tools for the future.
- L. Riedle distributed two handouts-one handout dealt with UTIC/UTIG Grants, and the
other gave an overview of the ACCED-I Region 5 Conference at UW-Milwaukee.
- Discussion Topics
- A. Bunte will be rescheduling her meeting with the Council. The UUCC document
formats have not been finalized at this time. P. Young suggested that in completing
UUCC documents, the point system be used for Item 10 "Staff Requirements".
- M. Anderson gave an overview of the proposal for a new course, CEE 406 Pavement
Maintenance and Rehabilitation. No additional staff is necessary due to the rotation of
courses. J. Krogman moved approval with a second from T. Ceylan. Motion passed.
- J. Krogman reported that the General Engineering Department will be discussing the
design for General Engineering using the input received from other departments. A
periodic update will be provided.
- L. Riedle distributed an e-mail she received from the Academic Information Technology
Commission (AITC) regarding testing conferencing software. T. Ceylan indicated that
he was a member of this committee and would be glad to answer any questions.
- The updated Employer's Evaluation form was discussed. "Chairman" will be changed
to "Chair". It was also suggested that the level (sophomore, junior, senior) of the
student be placed on the form.
- L. Riedle asked if Council members had any problem with the placement of ASCE signs
in the hallways of Ottensman. No objections were voiced as long as the placement is in
a neutral hallway. The Dean will be contacted before placement.
- A discussion was held on the process for soliciting funds during the Phone-a-thon. The
Council felt strongly that the callers should allow the person called to designate the
department/program receiving the gift by asking "Would you like to designate a
Page 2 - Executive Council
Minutes - October 16, 1998
specific area or the general fund?" It was felt that department/program needs could be
identified prior to the Phone-a-thon through alumni newsletters. T. Salmon asked if she
could have the Women In Engineering Scholarship mentioned in these newsletters. It
was felt that the Foundation should be contacted concerning their policy in identifying
the placement of the funds pledged.
- The Council agreed that engineering classes will be cancelled on March 26 for the
Engineering/Science Expo. The Departments of Chemistry and Engineering Physics and
Mathematics can use their discretion about the cancellation of classes.
- Other Business
- F. Tufte expressed his concern in the delay in hiring new faculty.
- Catalog revisions are due to L. Riedle on Friday, October 23.