University of Wisconsin Platteville
Engineering Mathematics & Science Alumni Chapter
Saturday, April 17, 1999
149 Ottensman Hall
||Members Not Present
||Barb Daus, Director of Alumni Services
Joe Dresser, President of UWP Alumni Board
Natalie Oeltjen, Regent Theta Tau
Stephanie Skowronski, Theta Tau Scribe
- Call to Order
President Jansen called the meeting to order at 10:05 am.
- Approval of Minutes of October 10, 1998 – Annual Meeting
Motion to approve minutes as written by Past President Gardner, seconded by Director Meyer. Motion carried.
- Financial Report
A. President Jansen presented three reports on behalf of Treasurer Wandsnider. Board evaluated current budget. Overall, the chapter is ahead of the budget.
- UWP Alumni Report by category
- Checking Account Report
- Budget Comparison by Year
- Board discussed distinguishing supporting membership money to specific events, to show where the money is being spent. Will need to provide a report back to supporting members on the use of the money.
- Increase in incoming dues is higher because of special allocation from the UWP Alumni Board to support the Anniversary of the Mining School.
- Current balance in all accounts is $7, 202.55.
- Motion made by Past President Gardner, seconded by Director Meyer to approve financial report. Motion carried.
- Dean’s Report
On behalf of Dean Shultz, Faculty Liaison Schmitt noted:
- Alumni Board provided congratulations to Dean Shultz for promotion to Dean of the College of EMS.
- Several retirements will be occurring: Earl McCullough retiring, Jan. 1, 2000, Phil and Carol Sands retiring Jan 1, 2000. Tenure track position filled by Phillip Parker.
- Enrollment increasing, largest ever, Placement is way up!
- Software engineering is approved.
- ABET visit for all programs are scheduled for Fall 2000.
- New professional chapter American General Contracting Association (AGC).
- Web based project management program approved in October.
- Faculty Liaison Report
See Dean’s report.
- Alumni Office Report
- May 8, 1999 is commencement. Five people will be honored. Mike Huffman, Mining Engineer, Fennimore HS graduate.
- UWP is searching for Dean’s positions in BILSA and LAE.
- Tom Lundeen retiring – most senior faculty member, other retirements were announced.
- Correction on Women’s Athletic Booster golf outing is June 26, 1999 not June 19, 1999 in Platteville. Men’s basketball booster golf outing is July 25, 1999 in Platteville.
- Football athletics is having golf outing on June 12, 1999 in Stoughton, WI.
- Update on new football coach and team was given.
- Chapter Issues
- Chapter Activity Calendar
- Some additions have been made this meeting. Add faculty liaison to write Geode article in January. Add Fall Newsletter items include in June/July. Send in mailing with homecoming fish fry – 8 weeks before Homecoming. September 30, Homecoming 2000. Develop newsletter in May, include article from membership committee (delegate to membership committee).
- Thank you Barb Daus for putting this together.
- President Jansen will create a listing of supporting members to be placed onto a visible display. List will be created electronically and then placed onto a board. SWE will do this. List of members, companies, logos, etc. (3’ x 4’). Will need an easel. Charter members, next year, member since….. MC, at fish fry, first thing is to acknowledge supporting members.
- Next step, is to assign a position to each task. President Jansen will make the assignments and revisions, then send to Barb Daus.
- By Laws and Constitution Amendments
- President Jansen distributed revisions, change name, change from four to five directors. Increase number of directors from nine to ten. Secretary Salmon made a motion approve changes in bylaws, effective end of this meeting. Seconded by Director Meyer. Motion approved.
- Board discussed membership on the board for mathematics/science. Want to diversify membership with all majors.
- Math and Science graduates should be included in the invitations to chapter events. Key to have Shultz and Schmitt to encourage participation from Math and Science Alumni. Copy needed at each meeting – Barb Daus.
- President Jansen and Barb Daus will make personal invitations to department chairs to encourage involvement.
- Membership Committee
- Request for list of alumni, with break down by major, possibly by decade. Needed to benchmark membership and then strategize how to recruit more students.
- Currently 17 members, plaques have been ordered, but not delivered. Will be distributed once received.
- Joe Dresser and Past President Gardner will recruit additional alumni board members to make additional contacts to recruit additional members. Will need to make sure we continue contacts with current supporting members. Need to expand, science, math, other disciplines. Target companies who hire our graduates.
- President Jansen appoints Ms. Laura Fenley as first vice-president, subject to board approval. Motion made by Bill Gardner to appoint. Motion passed.
- How to get involvement from math and science. Barb will solicit people.
- Board unanimously approves the inclusion of alumni in math and science to the board.
- List of nominees created 40 days before election (Homecoming), beginning to middle of August.
- Finalize ballot in July not August.
- President Jansen appointed Past President Gardner, Director Meyer and Joe Dresser as the nominating committee for elections.
- Discussion of nominees for President took place. Need to determine interest. Second vice-president Dailey, Director Belken, and Director Kaul we need to ask about interest in continuing on board and then if interested in presidency. President Jansen will make the contacts. Large effort to include math/science alumni on board.
- Other names on the list are Brian Jacoby and Mark Johnson.
- Special Events committee
- Faculty Liaison Schmitt spoke on behalf of Director Kronser. Task lists are being created for Fish Fry and Brat Fest.
- Fish Fry and Brat Fest yielded a profit. Therefore, do not need to raise prices unless per plate price increases.
- Brat Fest prices are: $2 for single, $3 for two. $130+ in donation can for beer was collected.
- Barb will send invitations and make certificate for scholarship recipients.
- Faculty Awards – photos come from the family. Provide the frame, blow it up (16x20), and engraving. May have a discount for four at once. What about space allocations? Place them where you would like? Does chemistry or math have different criteria.
- Add to calendar – solicit nominations in February (determined by Honors and Awards committee) and to board by April 1.
- Photo recipients should be honored at Fish Fry. As soon as photos are approved, Dean’s office to implement.
- Need list to carry over for next year. Need mechanism.
- Director Meyer will begin to develop draft for criteria. Board will review at next meeting.
- Letter will be sent to ME and GE chairs to acknowledge hold up in process. Because of changes in chapter (EMS) issues need to be resolved and decision has been tabled.
- Need to coordinate with Dean Shultz on possible programs. Barb Daus and President Jansen will meet with Dean Shultz.
- Selection committee is Barb Daus, Dean Shultz, Past President Gardner and Faculty Liaison Schmitt.
- Consider advertising nominations in Geode by July 1, 1999. Jude Stephens should send out the nomination on email to faculty. Submit a letter of nomination with a letter or vitae of that person. Send to Barb Daus.
- Annual Meeting – 8:00 AM, Saturday, October 9, 1999
- Other Business
- Stephanie Skrowonski and Natalie Oeltjen, Geode: approximately 20 articles, including a listing of the supporting membership report. Geode should be out soon.
- Discussion of alumni meeting updates within Geode, including, next meeting, upcoming events, and some bullets on the topics discussed. Also, a calendar of events (Golf Outing, next homecoming, women in engineering programs, Engineering Expo, etc.) Special articles from the Chapter should be submitted in January. Chapter Liaison should initiate article for the GEODE with pertinent information (summary of chapter activities, calendar of events – boxed in so it is easy to read). Regent for next year is Paul Bobby.
- Why to publish one a year – cost and investment of time, also content would improve. 1998 was first year of one issue per year. Discussed timing of the delivery of Geode – send it out in March! Moving up the distribution of Geode will move up deadlines, would have to start Geode in Fall semester. Geode only goes to paid members. Faculty Liaison Schmitt will attempt to get something in this year’s Geode .
B. FALL NEWSLETTER
- Possibly include an update to alumni members when the fish fry invitations go out (goes to all alumni). Called Fall newsletter. Should be a list of dates and upcoming events. Homecoming award winners announced, etc. Supporting members should also be included in this. Use this as a recruitment tool for more members. This becomes a part of the membership committee. "M" Ball 2000
C. MINERS BALL
- Next Year M Ball, April 8, 2000.
- 1999 M Ball is going well. Prizes will be given for best male/female dressed.
D. MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
- EMS alumni association mouse pads/screen savers. Give mouse pads or screen savers to supporting members?
- Request for 100% participation in capital campaign by all alumni boards. 16/30 on parent board has contributed.