Women in STEM LLC
The University of Wisconsin-Platteville has two living learning communities for women pursuing a degree in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science. We offer one LLC for incoming freshmen women and a second LLC for sophomore and transfer women. Both LLCs are located in the newly renovated Dobson Hall.
REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN FOR THE FALL 2016 LLC'S.
Please scroll down for more information about the registration process.
If the registration link for your respective LLC is closed, please register via the Wait List Registration Link. For more information on the wait list process, please see the bottom of the web page. Note: DO NOT SEND YOUR $100 DEPOSIT IF YOU REGISTER FOR THE WAIT LIST.
An LLC is a group of students that are focused on a particular area of interest and live together in an on-campus residence hall. The WiSTEM LLC is a stimulating living environment, where women who are interested in STEM fields build strong personal and academic connections with each other and with UW-Platteville faculty and professionals. The WiSTEM LLC is dedicated to providing students with a nurturing environment, support network for academics and everyday life, and an exciting college experience. This atmosphere can help with the transition to college life and provide an opportunity for members to develop meaningful friendships.
Participants must be a freshman, sophomore or transfer female student at the beginning of a fall term and a STEM major in one of the following programs:
Broad Field Science Chemistry Civil Engineering Computer Science
Electrical Engineering Engineering Physics Environmental Engineering
Industrial Engineering Mathematics Mechanical Engineering
Software Engineering Sustainable and Renewable Energy Systems
As a resident of the WiSTEM LLC, you will have many unique opportunities, including:
- Shared classes with other LLC members
- Enhanced academic and social opportunities
- Greater involvement in learning
- Increased satisfaction with your UW-Platteville experience
- Friendships with classmates who may be in the same classes and academic programs
- Stronger academic relationships and better connections with faculty members
- Focused support from a resident assistant who is also a STEM major
- Additional support from LLC staff for navigating college life, finding resources, and getting advice
- Common kitchenette and gathering area for fun activities and programs
Some of the activities and events you could be involved with as part of the LLC include:
- Study groups with students who have the same classes
- Interactive meetings and events with faculty and professionals
- Women in EMS Mentor Program
- Presentations and workshops on academic involvement, community service, research opportunities, career exploration, résumé building, and interviewing
- Meals with faculty and LLC staff
- Community and campus service activities such as mentoring young girls interested in STEM fields
- Social activities as a group on and off campus
FALL 2016 freshmen
Submit your housing application and $150 deposit to Residence Life. Mark WiSTEM LLC (Dobson Hall) as your housing preference on your application.
**Please note that the residence life application and $150 deposit are separate from the WiSTEM LLC application and $100 deopsit.**
- Complete the LLC Online Registration From to sign up for the WiSTEM LLC.
- Mail the $100.00 WiSTEM LLC fee to the address below.
University of Wisconsin-Platteville WiSTEM LLC
Attention: Kim Sargent
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
The $100 fee is used to cover the cost of increased staffing, special events, gifts and enhanced resources. Scholarships are available based on financial need.
Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis for any eligible conditionally admitted student. There are 26 spots in the LLC.
FALL 2016 sophomores and transfer students
The deadline to register for current freshmen LLC members to guarantee a spot in the sophomore LLC is January 26. After that date, the sophomore/transfer LLC is open to anyone. If you are not currently a member of the freshmen LLC, you may sign up anytime after January 26.
The final deadline to register and pay your fee is February 28. If you have not paid your fee by this date and there is a waiting list, you may lose your spot in the LLC.
- Sign up for a room in the LLC at your designated time and pay the $150 deposit to Residence Life.
- Complete the LLC Online Registration From to sign up for the WiSTEM LLC. (Registration form for 2016 will open in November 2015).
- Mail in the $100.00 WiSTEM LLC fee through postal or campus mail or bring in person to Kim Sargent in 172 Ottensman Hall.
- Payment not received by the deadline could result in losing your room in the LLC for next year. Payment arrangements can be made if you contact Kim before the deadline.
Registrations are only accepted for students who have signed up though housing to live in the WiSTEM LLC for next year. Current freshmen LLC members have priority over non-LLC members. We do not accept non-STEM majors in the LLC.
Cancellations & Refunds
If you decide not to attend UW-Platteville or choose not to be in the WiSTEM LLC after you have signed up, you may request a refund of your $100 fee by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to request a refund is May 1. Ater May 1, no refunds will be given.
Students who choose to leave the LLC may do so. Once a student leaves the LLC, they will no longer be part of that wing community. The $100 programming fee is not pro-rated nor refunded
Applications for the wait list are considered by a first come first served policy. You will be notified if a spot is available in the LLC. Unless you are notified, please DO NOT SEND IN YOUR $100 DEPOSIT.
Wednesday, September 2
5:00-6:30pm - Freshman
Tiki Room, Dobson Hall
LLC Fall Social (TBA)
Saturday, October 24
Lunch with Professors
October 27 - November 13
Friday, November 20
Tiki Room, Dobosn Hall
Pre-Finals Destressor Party
Friday, December 11
Tiki Room, Dobson Hall