Undergraduate Research & Travel Grants
This pane clears float!
The purpose of the Undergraduate Research and Travel Grants program is to enhance the educational experience of students at UW-Platteville by:
- providing opportunities for students to apply classroom concepts to hands-on, real-world projects
- compensating students for their contributions to the STEM fields
- encouraging a broader understanding of STEM career fields through research and travel
- facilitating career networking through conference attendance, research facility visits, or corporate site visits
Grants of up to $1,000 will be awarded through a competitive application process. Requests of more than $1,000 for large groups may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
In order to be eligible to receive an Undergraduate Travel or Research Grant, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at UW-Platteville
- be pursuing a major in the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science
- have a faculty or staff member endorse the project or trip
All students are encouraged to apply, however, preference will be given to applicants who meet the following criteria:
- have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
belong to or participate in one of the following organizations/groups:
- STEM Scholars
- DRIVEN Scholars
- Women in STEM Living Learning Community
- Women in EMS Mentor Program
- Society of Women Engineers
- Math Learning Center Tutors
- Other student organization or campus program that encourages a focus on STEM student success
It is expected that recipients will contribute to the knowledge of the campus community by disseminating research findings or knowledge gained through a poster or presentation. Details of this dissemination requirement will be determined on a case-by-case basis with each recipient.
To apply for a research grant, you must submit the following items:
- Research Grant Application Form
- One- to two-page project description
- Research Budget and Budget Justification Form
Please note: Your project description should include an explantation of your hypothesis and methods and a proposal for how you'd like to disseminate your findings to the campus community.
To apply for a travel grant, you must submit the following items:
- Travel Grant Application Form
- One- to two-page trip description
- Travel Budget and Budget Justification Form
Please note: Your trip description should include an explanation of how the travel will enhance your learning and a proposal for how you'd like to share any knowledge you gain with the campus community when you return.
Submit completed application packets in a sealed envelope to the EMS CenterPOINT:
In Person: Ottensman Room 170
By Mail: University of Wisconsin-Platteville
College of EMS CenterPOINT
1 University Plaza
Platteville, WI 53818
By Email: email@example.com
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and are reviewed at regular intervals. The next upcoming deadline for research and travel that will occur during the summer 2014 or fall 2014 semesters is Friday, May 2 at 5:00 pm.
Funding for the Undergraduate Research and Travel Grants program is provided by the National Science Foundation (NSF) STEM Talent Expansion Program (STEP) grant #1161180.
This pane clears float!