This pane clears float!
Steps to follow if you are interested in obtaining an engineering co-op:
- Attend the College of Engineering, Mathematics and Science (EMS) co-op informational meeting. (Click on upcoming events for date and location of this meeting) NOTE: Career Center staff will be attending to assist with questions.
- Pick-up Co-op Procedure Information from 149 Ottensman Hall if you cannot attend the informational meeting.
- Make an appointment with the Career Center staff to review/create your résumé, discuss interview techniques, and/or schedule a mock interview (608.342.1183).
After you have met with a Career Center staff member, you will register in UWPioneer Career Network:
- Student Profile
- References (three are recommended)
- You must indicate if you are seeking an EMS co-op position and what semester under "Additional Info” in your Profile.
- Once you have registered in UWPioneer Career Network, you will not be active for a co-op position until your status is approved by the College of EMS Student Services Office, 149 Ottensman. Please allow two to three days for approval and access in UWPioneer Career Network.
- Review and apply for co-op positions in your area of study on the UWPioneer Career Network. Read position descriptions carefully. Apply only to those positions where you meet the qualifications.
Check Daily: UWPioneer Career Network for communications from employers and/or new job postings
- Co-op and major department’s Bulletin Board for new possibilities
- UW-Platteville e-mail accounts – If you do not use your UW-Platteville e-mail account as your primary source, you will need to make sure that it will roll over.
- IMPORTANT: REMEMBER TO RESPOND TO ALL E-MAILS
- Scheduling of interviews: If selected by employer on UWPioneer Career Network, sign up for a time to interview.
- Review literature on employers/companies located in Career Center.
- Review websites on employers/companies.
- Check calendar for events. We strongly suggest if interviewing with an employer, that you attend their Employer Information Session.
- Establish your list of interview questions.
- Cancellation and No Show Policy
- Appropriately dressed
- Bring extra résumés, unofficial copies of transcripts, and references
- Bring your interview questions
- Collect business cards from interviewer(s)
- Double Check:
- Send or e-mail a formal/professional "thank you" letter to each interviewer within 24 hours
- Watch e-mails for communications from companies (be sure to respond)
On-site interviews as required
- Be sure to ask for proper dress
- Bring interview questions (This could be a new set of questions.)
- Bring copies of résumés, unofficial copies of transcripts, and references (approximately 6 of each)
- Collect business cards for "thank you" letters
- Send or e-mail formal/professional "thank you" letters
- On-site interviews as required
Accepting a Position:
- If you have any questions about accepting a co-op position, see Jean Olson in the Student Services office, 149 Ottensman Hall.
- Bring copy of an official offer letter from the company to the College of EMS Student Services office, 149 Ottensman.
- Go to Financial Aid office, Brigham Hall, if applicable
- You will be removed from co-op status in UWPioneer Career Network.
Do co-op, have fun! If you have any problems or questions, please contact us.
NOTE: Check on your personal medical insurance to determine if you have coverage while on co-op. You may wish to check with your parent(s), your co-op employer (to see if they provide coverage), or with Student Health Services, Royce Hall, about the private health care insurance available through UW-Platteville.
If you obtain an international co-op, there may be additional requirements. See Jean Olsen, College of EMS Student Services office, 149 Ottensman Hall.
This pane clears float!
Cooperative Education Program
Student Services Office
149 Ottensman Hall
7:45 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. (Academic Year)
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Summer Months)
Dr. Christina Curras
Assistant Dean for
Jean A. Olson