UW-Platteville Mission Statement, Administration, Board of Regents, Orgainizational Charts, and Sources of Information at UW-Platteville
Faculty and Academic Staff Responsibilities, Faculty and Academic Staff Privileges, Policy Statements
Calendars, Committee Structure
Faculty Handbook, Academic Staff Constitution, Academic Staff Bylaws
Wisconsin Administrative Codes
Article I: Department Chairs
Section 1: Selection of a Department Chair
A department chair shall be elected before the completion of the term of the present department chair. A department chair shall be elected by a majority vote of the whole department faculty. Each full-time faculty member in the department is eligible for election. The department's designation shall take place with the advice and consent of the college dean.
Section 2: Removal
A chair of a department may be removed from the position in either of two ways:
- According to procedures established by vote of the college faculty, or in the absence of these, according to procedures established by vote of the department faculty; or
- By the college dean in consultation with the department members.
Section 3: Designation of Department Chairs
If a department chair resigns or is relieved of his or her duties as department chair, the department may pursue one of the following courses of action depending on the circumstances.
- If the resignation or the removal of a department chair does not lead to, or occur in conjunction with, a vacant faculty position, so that the position of department chair must be filled by someone who is presently a member of the department, the designation of a new department chair shall take place according to the procedures established by vote of the college faculty, or in the absence of these, according to procedures established by vote of the department faculty. The department's designation shall take place with the advice and consent of the college dean.
If the resignation or the removal of a department chair does lead to, or occur in conjunction with, a vacant faculty position, then by vote of the department members, the department may:
- Determine that the position of department chair shall be filled by someone already a member of the department and proceed according to the provisions of "a" above (if this option is chosen, the Affirmative Action Officer shall be consulted to ensure the Affirmative Action and Equal Employment Opportunity principles are applied);
- Determine that the position of department chair shall be filled by the new faculty member to be appointed to fill the vacancy, and then proceed with the recruitment and initial appointment procedures outlined in Article III, Recruitment and Initial Appointment, being sure to include the duties of department chair in the position description and an explanation to all candidates that department chairs shall continue to serve at the pleasure of the department members and the dean; or
- Determine that the designation of the new department chair shall occur (according to the provisions of "a" of this Section) after the appointment of the new faculty member, and that the latter will be considered a candidate along with other department members willing or desiring to serve as department chair. In this case, the department will assure that the position description includes a statement that the newly appointed faculty member will be, or may choose to be, a candidate for the position of department chair.