School of Education Admission Requirements
This pane clears float!
To apply for admission, teacher candidates will complete and submit an application for Admission to the School of Education (SoE) during their freshman or sophomore year while completing TCHG 1230 Introduction to Education or PE 2320 Introduction to Physical Education and Health Promotion at UW-Platteville. Students will not be officially admitted to the School of Education until all of the requirements below have been met and the signed Admissions Requirement form is received in our office.
The School of Education office prefers that all students be admitted to the SoE by the end of their sophomore year.
Transfer students should apply for admission to the SoE during their first semester on campus, but they will not be eligible for admission until they have earned at least 15 credits at UW-Platteville and have completed the other admission requirements.
The SoE has identified courses that may be taken only by teacher candidates who have been admitted to the SoE. This restricted course list for Health and Human Performance courses and School of Education courses are attached.
To be eligible for admission, teacher candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
Successfully complete the Pre-Professional Skills Test (PPST). Teacher candidates should take the PPST during their first year at UW-Platteville. Passing scores for the PPST are:
- Reading 175
- Writing 174
- Mathematics 173
- ACT composite score of 23 with minimum score of 20 on English, Math and Reading
- SAT composite score of 1070 with minimum score of 450 on Math and Verbal
- GRE (taken after 8/1/2011) composite score of 298 with minimum score of 150 on Verbal and 145 on Math
Earn grades of "C" or better in the following 5 courses:
- 1130 Freshman Composition I
- 1230 Freshman Composition II
- 2010 Speech Comm for Teachers (strongly recommended) or 1010 Public Speaking (acceptable)
- 1230 Intro to Ed or 2320 Intro to PE
- 2010 Computer Apps in Ed (or approved equivalent)
- Have earned 40 semester credits in an accredited college of which 15 credits have been earned at UW-Platteville.
- Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.650 or better.
- Prepare an admission portfolio, present it to an interview committee during Pre-Professional Days, and be recommended for admission by the committee.
- Satisfy tutoring requirement - applies only to students in early childhood-middle childhood (B-11) program.
Admissions are processed on the first of the month following completion of all requirements. Teacher candidates who have met all requirements will be notified of their admission through an email from the SoE.
Admission to Student Teaching
Visit Clinical Experiences website for details.
This pane clears float!