While in the end education abroad is one of the most rewarding experiences a person can have, the process leading up to it can be daunting and complicated. The UW-Platteville Education Abroad staff understands this and strives to make the process as easy as possible. We are known for our personal touch and for taking the time to answer all of students questions and concerns, big or small. We look forward to speaking to you about your decision to embark on one of the most fulfilling and exciting times of your life!
UW-Platteville Education Abroad, a division within the UW-Platteville International Programs, prepares global citizens by promoting global engagement, internationalizing the university, and providing educational experiences that lead to learning and reflection in an international context.
The UW-Platteville Education Abroad staff aims to:
- promote education abroad opportunities including internships, service learning, and student teaching, that are in keeping with the educational mission of UW-Platteville
- provide education abroad opportunities with quality academic content and instruction, and appropriate evaluation of students
- ensure that education abroad opportunities accommodate a wide range of disciplines
- support opportunities in diverse regions of the world
- assure that programs are well integrated into the local community, encourage immersion of the student into the local culture, and encourage study of the local language, while affirming that the formal academic component of education abroad is retained
- integrate education abroad into the student's academic program to the fullest extent possible, including developing the means by which returning students can actively contribute to international awareness and programming on campus
- engage faculty in the development of faculty-led international programs
- assist faculty and academic departments with curriculum integration
|1970||The foundations of UW-Platteville Education Abroad were laid.|
|1979||Program established in London, England at Ealing College of Higher Education, later to be known as Thames Valley University (program no longer offered).|
|1984||Program established in Seville, Spain at the Spanish-American Institute of International Education (SAIIE).|
|1995||Program established in Nagasaki, Japan at the Nagasaki University of Foreign Studies (NUFS).|
|1998||London program moves from Thames Valley University to St. Mary's University (SMU).|
|1999||Program established in Rome, Italy at The American University of Rome (AUR).|
|2006||Program established in Suva, Fiji at the University of the South Pacific (USP).|
|2006||Program established in Wuhan, China at the South-Central University for Nationalities (program no longer offered).|
|2007||Program established in Newcastle, Australia at the University of Newcastle (UoN).|
History of amazing experiences
UW-Platteville Education Abroad has helped more than 10,000 students study abroad from more than 250 institutions nationwide since 1979 and hundreds of students have rated it the best experience of their life. See what recent program participants have been saying about their experience on Abroad101: studyabroad101.com/providers/uw-platteville-education-abroad.