Students interested in studying abroad should consider all aspects of their opportunities abroad, including their personal financial situation. Program costs vary greatly based on a variety of factors, and UW-Platteville Education Abroad strives to keep costs down while maintaining high-quality programs that are available to as many students as possible. Please consider the following information and resources when planning for an education abroad experience.
Factors Influencing Cost
Education abroad programs vary greatly in cost, and some of the factors which influence program costs are:
- Tuition of the Institution: Most education abroad programs include the tuition of the institution abroad in the program cost, but tuition costs varies greatly worldwide.
- Program Costs: Education abroad programs vary widely in how costs are presented: some programs appear inexpensive, but may not include many items in the program cost such as accommodation, meals, and airfare. Other programs appear quite expensive, but are more "all-inclusive" programs.
- Accommodation Style: For example, programs offering accommodation in apartments are generally more expensive than programs which offer accommodations in university residence halls or homestays.
- Cost of Living: Just as the cost of living on the East Coast is generally more expensive than the cost of living in the Midwest, so too is the cost of living in Rome more expensive than the cost of living in a small town in Wisconsin.
- Exchange Rate: Depending on the exchange rate, the U.S. Dollars will "go farther" in some countries than others. For example, studying abroad in England where the currency is the British Pound (1 British Pound = 1.5 U.S. Dollar) will be more expensive than studying abroad in Fiji with the Fijian Dollar (1 Fijian Dollar = 0.56 U.S. Dollar).
- Airfare: Generally, flights to Oceania, Asia, and Africa are more expensive than flights to Western Europe and Latin America.
Scholarships and Grants
A listing of popular education abroad scholarship and grant options can be accessed by using the following steps:
- Go to http://www.uwplatt.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.AdvancedSearch
- Under "Program Search" select the box next to Scholarship Programs.
- Click "- Search >" above or at the bottom of the page.
- On the following page, click any of the scholarship names for more information on eligibility, deadlines, how to apply, and the scholarship process.
Please note that some scholarships are only available to UW-Platteville students and will be noted in the scholarship description. Non-Platteville students should visit their home institution’s education abroad office to inquire about additional scholarship and grant options.
This pane clears float!
This pane clears float!
Determining how to fund an education abroad experience is a major consideration for students, so planning program costs early can help to alleviate financial concerns later. While there are additional costs incurred with many education abroad programs, many students do not consider how much they already spend for a semester here in the U.S. Comparing costs can often help determine how realistic the program cost is for personal budgets.
Using the Estimating the Cost of an Education Abroad Program worksheet below, first fill in the costs for an average semester here in the U.S. using your current billing, federal aid, and grants and scholarships. Then find your program(s) of interest and access additional information on estimated costs and fill in the estimated program and out-of-pocket costs.
Cost Comparisons for UW-Platteville Students
UW-Platteville Education Abroad Programs
Interested in London, Seville, Rome, Nagasaki, Newcastle, or Suva? View the UW-Platteville Education Abroad Program Cost Comparisons comparing the costs for a semester at UW-Platteville to a semester abroad on any of these programs.
Updated cost comparisons coming soon!
UW-Platteville Exchange Programs
Interested in Belfort, Townsville, Galway, Windesheim, Dronten, Stavanger, Jönköping, Darmstadt, or Newcastle? View the UW-Platteville Exchange Program Cost Comparisons document comparing the 2012-2013 costs for a semester at UW-Platteville to a semester abroad on any of these programs.
Please reference the Post-9/11 GI Bill Study Abroad Fact Sheet for more information on coverage: http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/docs/factsheets/post_911_study_abroad_fact_sheet.pdf