Advising on Education Abroad
The Role of UW-Platteville Education Abroad
UW-Platteville Education Abroad assists students before, during, and after their education abroad experience. Pre-departure, the UW-Platteville Education Abroad staff advises students on:
- on program models/types and on selecting programs that fit the individual student’s academic goals and personal interests.
- on eligibility, application procedures, financial matters, and other logistical matters.
The Role of UW-Platteville Academic Advisors
After meeting with a UW-Platteville Education Abroad staff member, students must make an appointment with their academic advisor to discuss how education abroad will fit into their academic plan. All students who are preparing to participate on an education abroad program are required to meet with their academic advisor to discuss course selection and equivalencies as part of their application process. Students are instructed to bring the following items to their meeting with their academic advisor:
- the International Study Course Approval Form (ISCAF).
- a list of courses offered at the institution abroad of academic and personal interest.
- course information (descriptions and syllabi, when readily available) for the institution abroad.
- a list of questions and concerns, including the types of courses they should take abroad and what courses they should take when they return to campus.
During this meeting, UW-Platteville academic advisors should:
- discuss how this experience fits into the student’s progress toward degree completion.
- discuss the courses students hope to take abroad and help select suitable equivalencies at UW-Platteville, initialing approved course selections on the ISCAF. With the approval of their academic advisor and the department head on the ISCAF, courses taken abroad can fulfill degree requirements at UW-Platteville (i.e. major, minor, general education, or elective).
UW-Platteville Education Abroad has a list of established and previously approved course equivalencies for UW-Platteville students which can serve as a helpful guide, please see UW-Platteville Course Equivalencies.
If additional course information is required to approve course equivalencies (e.g. course syllabi, contact hours, etc.), please contact the UW-Platteville Education Abroad office.